Help stuck shed on tail

bruce the cham

Avid Member
My veiled chameleon has had shed From about where his tail starts to the end for a month it’s still has not come off I can’t really get a good picture of it it’s not like it’s just the tip

What have your humidity levels been? You could try lowering humidity and see if that helps. If it’s loose but just stuck, you could try to gently rub and see if that helps it come off. Just don’t pull it or you could damage his scales.

What have your humidity levels been? You could try lowering humidity and see if that helps. If it’s loose but just stuck, you could try to gently rub and see if that helps it come off. Just don’t pull it or you could damage his scales.
its really stuck my humidity is 38 to 40 i soaked his tail for 2 minutes but still nothing

Try to get a picture when he is calm in his cage not out walking around on you. The important thing is that it is not constricting blood flow.

But when they do not shed cleanly it can also be a sign that something is off in your husbandry.

Try to get a picture when he is calm in his cage not out walking around on you. The important thing is that it is not constricting blood flow.

But when they do not shed cleanly it can also be a sign that something is off in your husbandry.
ok i will fill out a husbedry sheet where can i find one

Copy and paste into your reply then fill it out with detail. We will need pics of the entire enclosure as well.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Date: 3/24/2022
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 7-8 months old i think i made a thread about how old he might be help would be great had him for about 3 months
  • Handling - once a week and once a week to take him outside he is ok when he is out sometimes while i'm reading i let him free roam
  • Feeding - i do crickets 2 super worm a day black soldier fly larvae the hard part about roaches is my parents don't want me to get them i gut load with apples sweet potato and lettuce changing it out every other day they never go a day in my care without being gut loaded
  • Supplements - i use calcium no d3 no phosphorus every day except monday i alternate between calcium no phosphorus but d3 and a multivitamin no d3
  • Watering - i just got a automatic mister when lights turn on and 30 mins after lights turn off for about 1minute and 30 seconds i see him drink every morning he is not a shy drinker i have a homemade dripper
  • Fecal Description - he has never been tested but it is very creamy the urate is a creamy whit with a little orange but the other day he had a pure white urate
  • History - i don't know i got him from predator reptiles they were being taken care of extremely well and were using all the right supplements lighting and real plants plus very good looking chams

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - reptibreeze 2x2x4 mesh
  • Lighting - repti sun T5 linear bulb 5.o reptisun lights on at 8 lights off at 8
  • Temperature - basking spot 85 degrees fahrenheit lower down 70s at night 60s i use a heat gun
  • Humidity - 38-40 i have a clear shower curtain around the cage at night 73-and above i use a digital hygrometer
  • Plants - all live i have a bamboo ,hibiscus ,gardenia ,and a big i forgot its name but safe for chams he loves munching the flowers
  • Placement - it is in my room no high traffic not a lot off people in it mainly me or a friend when we are in their we usually just watch him from a distance we made a 2 foot stand so his highest spot is 6 feet
  • Location - queen creek arizona

Current Problem - he is hitting 7-8 months and is starting to hump my hand is there any way to stop this also he has a little bit of a wonky cask but my fault i gave him a branch way too close to uvb plus the stuck shed problem

Here

Attachments

• 75E16085-2290-40F0-B902-952D96346597.jpeg
    75E16085-2290-40F0-B902-952D96346597.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 428C5180-6A0C-4B3D-A946-E01245211BC5.jpeg
    428C5180-6A0C-4B3D-A946-E01245211BC5.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 763210B1-BCE8-4C1D-B491-07947909AB41.jpeg
    763210B1-BCE8-4C1D-B491-07947909AB41.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 43
  • D08C28B0-F8DD-403B-91CB-3F15F6FE9C15.jpeg
    D08C28B0-F8DD-403B-91CB-3F15F6FE9C15.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 49
  • 89925F3F-C574-4BC3-A026-DF34E2A80BA8.jpeg
    89925F3F-C574-4BC3-A026-DF34E2A80BA8.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 48
See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 7-8 months old i think i made a thread about how old he might be help would be great had him for about 3 months... Looks about right for age although a lot of things can impact growth rate so this is just a guess based on when you got him.
  • Handling - once a week and once a week to take him outside he is ok when he is out sometimes while i'm reading i let him free roam. If you are taking him outside the house make sure he is safe and that you are watching him. Hawks and large birds have no issue grabbing a chameleon.
  • Feeding - i do crickets 2 super worm a day black soldier fly larvae the hard part about roaches is my parents don't want me to get them i gut load with apples sweet potato and lettuce changing it out every other day they never go a day in my care without being gut loaded. You can stick to the feeders you are using there is nothing wrong with them. Once he hits about 10 months I would start kicking him over to an every other day feeding of 5-8 feeders. Then when he is a year old then every other day feeding of 3-4 feeders.
  • Supplements - i use calcium no d3 no phosphorus every day except monday i alternate between calcium no phosphorus but d3 and a multivitamin no d3 This is fine as long as your reptivite is no D3 version.
  • Watering - i just got a automatic mister when lights turn on and 30 mins after lights turn off for about 1minute and 30 seconds i see him drink every morning he is not a shy drinker i have a homemade dripper. good.
  • Fecal Description - he has never been tested but it is very creamy the urate is a creamy whit with a little orange but the other day he had a pure white urate good.
  • History - i don't know i got him from predator reptiles they were being taken care of extremely well and were using all the right supplements lighting and real plants plus very good looking chams

Cage Info:

• Lighting - repti sun T5 linear bulb 5.o reptisun lights on at 8 lights off at 8. What is your distance from the UVB to the branch below it? With this fixture and bulb strength you want a measured 8-9 inches for the correct UVI exposure.
  • Temperature - basking spot 85 degrees fahrenheit lower down 70s at night 60s i use a heat gun. Temp guns only measure surface temp. I would put in a digital gauge with probe for the basking spot. 85 would be the absolute max 80-85 is the range.
  • Humidity - 38-40 i have a clear shower curtain around the cage at night 73-and above i use a digital hygrometer. This is fine.
  • Plants - all live i have a bamboo ,hibiscus ,gardenia ,and a big i forgot its name but safe for chams he loves munching the flowers. He is a Veiled and I would stick with Veiled test plants since they eat their plants. You do not know what long term damage other plants my cause.
  • Placement - it is in my room no high traffic not a lot off people in it mainly me or a friend when we are in their we usually just watch him from a distance we made a 2 foot stand so his highest spot is 6 feet

Current Problem - he is hitting 7-8 months and is starting to hump my hand is there any way to stop this also he has a little bit of a wonky cask but my fault i gave him a branch way too close to uvb plus the stuck shed problem... No way to stop the behavior.

My bet is your humidity may be a little lower then you think. Being in Queen creek your going to have much dryer air. Get a second digital hygrometer, keep these out of the spray path of water or you will get false readings.

chameleon academy plants.png
chameleon-gutload.jpg

See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled chameleon male 7-8 months old i think i made a thread about how old he might be help would be great had him for about 3 months... Looks about right for age although a lot of things can impact growth rate so this is just a guess based on when you got him.
  • Handling - once a week and once a week to take him outside he is ok when he is out sometimes while i'm reading i let him free roam. If you are taking him outside the house make sure he is safe and that you are watching him. Hawks and large birds have no issue grabbing a chameleon.
  • Feeding - i do crickets 2 super worm a day black soldier fly larvae the hard part about roaches is my parents don't want me to get them i gut load with apples sweet potato and lettuce changing it out every other day they never go a day in my care without being gut loaded. You can stick to the feeders you are using there is nothing wrong with them. Once he hits about 10 months I would start kicking him over to an every other day feeding of 5-8 feeders. Then when he is a year old then every other day feeding of 3-4 feeders.
  • Supplements - i use calcium no d3 no phosphorus every day except monday i alternate between calcium no phosphorus but d3 and a multivitamin no d3 This is fine as long as your reptivite is no D3 version.
  • Watering - i just got a automatic mister when lights turn on and 30 mins after lights turn off for about 1minute and 30 seconds i see him drink every morning he is not a shy drinker i have a homemade dripper. good.
  • Fecal Description - he has never been tested but it is very creamy the urate is a creamy whit with a little orange but the other day he had a pure white urate good.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - repti sun T5 linear bulb 5.o reptisun lights on at 8 lights off at 8. What is your distance from the UVB to the branch below it? With this fixture and bulb strength you want a measured 8-9 inches for the correct UVI exposure.
  • Temperature - basking spot 85 degrees fahrenheit lower down 70s at night 60s i use a heat gun. Temp guns only measure surface temp. I would put in a digital gauge with probe for the basking spot. 85 would be the absolute max 80-85 is the range.
  • Humidity - 38-40 i have a clear shower curtain around the cage at night 73-and above i use a digital hygrometer. This is fine.
  • Plants - all live i have a bamboo ,hibiscus ,gardenia ,and a big i forgot its name but safe for chams he loves munching the flowers. He is a Veiled and I would stick with Veiled test plants since they eat their plants. You do not know what long term damage other plants my cause.

Current Problem - he is hitting 7-8 months and is starting to hump my hand is there any way to stop this also he has a little bit of a wonky cask but my fault i gave him a branch way too close to uvb plus the stuck shed problem... No way to stop the behavior.

My bet is your humidity may be a little lower then you think. Being in Queen creek your going to have much dryer air. Get a second digital hygrometer, keep these out of the spray path of water or you will get false readings.

View attachment 321937View attachment 321938
thanks

Back
Top Bottom