HELP PLEASE !

I personally feel like the care an animal receives is a direct reflection of how it will live... Beman is a Petco baby. He will be 5 in June. They had him a week before I got him. So he had very limited exposure to bad husbandry there. Then I being a new keeper started learning like crazy to make all the correct changes very quickly. People will always buy from chain stores. It just is how it goes. We are lucky to have sites like Chameleon Forum, Chameleon Academy, and Neptunes chameleon to provide right husbandry. Not all people will seek out additional information. And sadly not all people that do will take what is advised seriously. That too is the way it is.

When a new keeper buys a baby at a chainstore and does not know what they are looking for as signs of healthy then they automatically are starting out on a bad note. Then when they do not provide all the correct husbandry this adds risk. Unfortunately Veileds are cheap and often tossed away like they are not important or amazing animals. Due to their price point they are an impulse buy animal.
You are correct about the impulse buy. Carmelo was an impulse adoption but it took me 1 trip to Petsmart and 24 hours of care to know I needed help. Chameleon's are not beginner pets.

@MissSkittles the really sad part is if she does not reach out to CF or someone with experience for help this Cham girl will die and she will purchase Chameleon number 4! FYI- it's a female so I did go into detail about needing a lay bin and showed her pics from CF, directed her to CF, Cham Academy, and the YouTube Channel Videos that are posted here. I wrote this information on her receipt.

@MissSkittles the really sad part is if she does not reach out to CF or someone with experience for help this Cham girl will die and she will purchase Chameleon number 4! FYI- it's a female so I did go into detail about needing a lay bin and showed her pics from CF, directed her to CF, Cham Academy, and the YouTube Channel Videos that are posted here. I wrote this information on her receipt.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. I do hope they find their way here, even as a lurker, and will learn and do so much better. There are too many sick animals sold by the chain stores, but many of us have gotten chameleons from them who are thriving with the correct care. You’ve done what you could in guiding her to solid resources and we can only hope and pray she listens.

The reason my cham isn't from a petsmart or a reptile show is because of this forum. My dad had a cham and he took the best care he could of him - SUPER sweet (his name was Punk) and he lived to be about 6, despite not the best husbandry. I was able to take what my dad had learned, and started diving in when I knew I wanted to get one. I found these forums and boy I have learned SO MUCH. It's a wonderful resource here and I attribute my Little Guy's current good health to the knowledge shared here.

Back
Top Bottom