HELP... one egg.... ???

rmatheny

A few months back my veiled laid 72 eggs!!! It took her two whole days to dig, lay and re-cover the hole. I can't even comprehend how 72 eggs fit inside her. It took her about 2 days before she started eating and drinking again... waxworms got her eating... she loves them! Anyways... I know she was getting close to maybe laying eggs again because she has started to get a little chunky and I catch her walking around the bottom of her cage every now and then. I have dirt in there at all times, as her cage is fairly large. I know she knows its in there because she walks in it from time to time. Today when I came home there was one single egg at the bottom of her cage. ???? can anyone explain this? should I be worried? She is still eating and sleeping. I moved the dirt today to the other side to maybe interest her in it... I covered the front of her cage so she cant see us. I'm hoping all is ok, it's just so weird. Makes me think about that show, I didnt know i was pregnant... ha ha.. but seriously, can anyone help? Thanks a million!!

Lower her temps to 80 and only feed 6 to 8 feeders everyother day. 72 eggs is way too many. Sometimes after laying a clutch 2 to 3 months later they will lay another clutch. Too many eggs and too many clutches will shorten their life.

As Jann stated, she is probably ready to lay again. Sometimes, before laying, they may release an egg or two.
SOmetimes if the eggs are not fertile, she may or may not dig a hole for them.

Her temp is around 80... and how do I make sure she doesnt lay so many eggs?? She usually eats around 10 to 15 crickets today. she likes to eat I guess... but if I dont feed her that many than she ends up eating the dirt, no joke.

What dirt? Your shouldn't have diry in her enclosure other than washed play snad in the laying bin. My adult female veiled gets 6 to 8 feeders (depending on the size) 3 days a week. My chams eat on Mon, Wed. & Fridays. I also give them a few slivers of fruits such as apple, banana, strawberry or grape a few days a week.

dirt..

sorry, yes, it's the playground sand... i see her eat it sometimes... and really, you only feed 3 days a week?

Search the box carefully, its not unusual for a female to lay/bury a clutch then drop a single egg/slug ontop or elsewhere. No idea why.
Other than that, something may have disturbed her perhaps. Try covering the cage for a day or two. :)

Let her lay the eggs first and then cut her feeding and temperatures back....if she's producing eggs she needs to have the nutrients to get through it.

Back
Top Bottom