Help needed

Also if you notice your chameleons veil is closer to it's body. It could be a female or a male I think it is a female but in time for sure you'll be able to tell. If it is a female that will bring up some problems for you. Female veils and most other chams lay eggs and they are also stressed around the time they do. They require more care and more caution as chams can die by stress.

Good luck my friend, I have a cham and with his personality I can't hold him much he is more of a reptile for watching

Here are a few shots of my Kyle. First photo is a few days after I got him. Second, is him feeding around the same time. Third was about 1-2 months after I got him so around age 5 months. I see polka dots on a male. Color and pattern is not always the most accurate way to identify male or female with these chameleons.

IMG_20170120_190723007.jpg IMG_20170125_200841_635.jpg IMG_20170205_131208.jpg

Wait... Our male has polka dots... Can boys have them too??? I need to look at his feet
Most keepers think that there are hard and fast rules to sexing chams, they all try to oversimplify the process and almost always leads to confusion. You need to look at four independent indicators and the overall picture to determine sex reliably.

Ill use veilds as an example since that's what were discussing.

1- Everyone instantly wants to look at the spurs believing this is a guaranteed tell but in the real world both male and female veilds have spurs, the size of them is what you should be considering. Smaller, most likely female, larger ones denote a likely male. Its a judgment call on your part. Ive seen tons of females with spurs, especially over the last few years. Its a bit of a phenomenon in the captive breeding community that no one has been able to fully explain.

2- Once the cham has reached 3mo coloration can also be used to determine sex but can be tricky. Vertical stripes means males, spots are females right? No, it can vary significantly depending on the current mood of the cham. As the cham grows their coloration will trend towards their respective stereotypes, making sexing them easier.

3- Casque size/shape is another good indicator and I find it to be one of the most reliable. Males casque will be larger overall, usually significantly taller than a females. Females tend to have shorter casques with a wider base than a males.

4- Another indicator is the girth of the base of the tail. Males will tend to be larger overall but usually not to the extent that a male panther would be. So, lump male, no lump female.

Adding up all these factors gives you the best odds for correctly sexing your veiled.

Lol you will know male or female 100% way before eggs. The mature male and female patterns and coloration will show up before sexual maturity.

Females with bars. Confusing at first glance they look like young males until you look closer.

Attachments

• CH39-520z.jpg
    CH39-520z.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 69
  • veil-female-post-ovh_orig.jpg
    veil-female-post-ovh_orig.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom