Help ID-ing my Pygmies

Steve C

Hello Fellow Pygmy Chameleon Lovers!
So this very Christmas I was given three beautiful Rieppeleon Brevicaudatus from my mom. But when I first saw them, my first thought was," That is not a Bearded Pygmy Chameleon..". And I thought that they are R. Temporalis. It's kinda complicated though, I'm 100% sure that one is a brev. But that the others are R. Temps.
So can you just tell me the gender and species of these guys..
Thanks!

Attachments

• PC250470.jpg
    PC250470.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 242
  • PC250471.jpg
    PC250471.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 195
  • PC250467.jpg
    PC250467.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 190
Pic 1: Female Temporalis
Pic 2: Male Temporalis
Pic 3: Brev for sure. I'm not so hot at sexing them, but I've only seen males curl the tail tip downwards like that. I would get a second opinion though.

You can tell the two are temporalis because of the diagonal stripes and little pointy lips.

Thanks! I thought that those guys were different... Oh well, I guess I have two different species... So does anyone know how to care for R. Temporalis? I have looked around and I have gotten so many different answers. My biggest question is can I keep these guys together or should I remove my only brev? Also, I think the brev was a female because her tail is a little stubby thing, like a female, not as colorful as male, and more rounded than a male... Hopefully we can figure this out.... And also I think the female temp is gravid because she is wider than the male counterpart. I'll check for eggs all week. Maybe I'll get some breeding like I wanted!

I've noticed that sometimes my temporalis females will be a bit wider looking even if they dont have eggs. The last time I had a gravid one I was able to feel an egg bump when I touched her sides gently. As for care, I keep them about the same as brevs, but they appear to like it just a little cooler and can't handle the higher end of temps that the brevs can. I know at least one other keeper has kept them together, but one of the species harassed the other and kept trying to mate with one. I had some together at one point, but they didn't seem to do as well as when I kept them apart so I separated them soon after. I would suggest keeping them separate since you are still getting used to the husbandry requirements and what not and because of my own personal experience.

Thanks alot! I read that the temps are more grounddwelling, can I just put them in a long 15 gallon tank or should I keep them in my exoterra 18x18x24

Mine never seemed to care for being up higher than maybe 8-9 inches off the ground, and even being that high up was rare for them. Even with a very well planted viv with many different levels to be on, they seemed to prefer the ground or very low branches/plants. My brevs have always prefered to be a bit higher up than the temporalis and not using the ground as much. I don't know how short the 15 gallon long is, so I think you should pick what you think is best and see how it goes. If you notice them seeming to like to be up higher, then they may need to be put in a taller enclosure.

I don't have a ruler on hand but i believe the tank is 10 - 12 inches tall so i think i'll put them in there

Back
Top Bottom