Help: Chameleon Not Basking

Ari

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Furcifer pardalis (Panther Chameleon) Locale: Nosy Be, Male, 5-6 months

How long has it been in your care?
About 1 week.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Never try to, but i'll explain in my current problem.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Small/medium sized crickets, 10 a day, feeding everyday.I gutload with carrots, zucchini, Chinese mustard greens, oranges, apples, & sometimes squash.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you using?
Everything is Rep-Cal brand.

Are you dusting your feeders if so with what? and whats your schedule? I
dust with calcium w/ no d3 everyday, herptivite 2 times a month and calcium with d3 2 times a month. Basically everyother Monday of the month I switch off between the multivitamin and calcium with D3.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Haven't seen my cham drink, But i have a MistKing starter system that mists his cage 3 times a day for 4-5 minutes each mist. 7am lights on, mist at 8am for 4 minutes, 12pm 5 minutes, and 4pm 5minues. Lights cut out at 7pm sharp. Also I have a little dripper that drips on leaves all day.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Fecal color was kind of off since I've had him. He did eat a few silkworms prior to my ownership, so I'm assuming he's feces was jelly like due to the silkies.

Have not got a decal yet, I plan on dropping one off soon. Hopefully this week. I know this is always the first thing to do when getting a cham from an unreliable source.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got him from a local breeder, Asked him questions about supplementing, housing, lighting, etc. Just to be sure he knew what he was doing before i took the little guy home. So he checked out healthy when I got him.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
DIY screen cage - 2x2x4'

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
24" t5ho double fixture. Has a 6500k reptisun grow light + 6.0 arcadia light. Heat light is a 75w reptisun basking bulb in a 8.5" clamp lamp fixture. Lights on 7am, lights off 7pm.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
Up high ranges from 70's - 80's. Basking spot is clocked in at high 80's.

Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
[/B]Bottom of cage is mid 60's maybe low 70's. I have 2 digital thermometers + a temp gun.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Averages 50%-80%. 80% being after a 5 minute mist. Maintaining levels by mister on a timer. I use a analog humidity gauge + digital.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Ficus Benjamin

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Cage is located in our bedroom. We live in a studio apartment. It's also about 2 1/2 feet off of the floor. I guess you can say he's in a high traffic area since we're always moving around doing our daily things. We have a rack that has curtains that can block light for him at night.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
Los Angeles, California

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Well, my cham is fairly new to our home. We have another boy aswell, so i'm pretty good with chameleons by now. I just don't understand this guy we have now. He seems a bit shy and doesn't like to move around his cage. He does laps, but it'll literally take him a few hours to peep out the scene. He never basks (which is my problem). I get worried that he's not digesting his food properly. He has pooped twice within this past week. His feces doesn't smell at all so i didn't have any assumptions he had parasites. Also he eats free ranged crickets that happen to get out of his feeder cup. Also goes to his feeder cup and eats about an average of 7 crickets a day. He just never wants to bask...Sometimes I get worried that he's too cold, so i'll pick him up and hold him in the warm light and he'll flatten out, turn brown and absorb the heat. Then i'll sloooowly let him onto a branch and he'll start to bask by himself. I just don't get why he's not basking. But he eats well. Haven't seen him drink yet but his eyes aren't sunken in so i'm assuming he's well hydrated. His feces urate is pretty white as well.

Anyone have any ideas to why he doesn't bask? Is my ambient temp to controlled up top? So he doesn't feel the need to bask? Or is he in too much of a high traffic area and is still in shock from the move? I really get worried he's not warm enough. The times I do pick him up he's really cold so thats why I hold him up to the light.

Any help will be appreciated. I've been lurking on these forums for years, just never made an account. I've learned allot from searching around the web and talking with breeders.

Ari

That could be a possibility. His basking spot is over looking the entire room...I don't want to move anything around or it'll stress him out, again. But pictures not at the moment but I can try and get some pictures tomorrow evening once I get off of work. Thanks for your concerns.

How much foliage is in his basking spot?

How are you measuring your temps?

Maybe it's too hot for him.

Pics of the set up would help

How much foliage is in his basking spot?

How are you measuring your temps?

Maybe it's too hot for him.

Pics of the set up would help
His basking spot is pretty bare, it's just a bunch of jungle vines for him to hang out on.

I measure temps with digital + analog gauges.

I feel like he doesn't want to go near his basking spot at all. I had a 5.5" clamp lamp the first week, he didn't bother with it. Upgraded to a 8.5" hoping it'll spread out the basking area and still he never wants to bask.

Would I need pothos plants or something covering his basking area? I have it where to door opens on the left side of the cage. Should I move the spot in the back left corner?

His basking spot is pretty bare, it's just a bunch of jungle vines for him to hang out on.

I measure temps with digital + analog gauges.

I feel like he doesn't want to go near his basking spot at all. I had a 5.5" clamp lamp the first week, he didn't bother with it. Upgraded to a 8.5" hoping it'll spread out the basking area and still he never wants to bask.

Would I need pothos plants or something covering his basking area? I have it where to door opens on the left side of the cage. Should I move the spot in the back left corner?

To ensure privacy, I have a fake pothos vine that literally covers his basking area, almost like a wall, to the front side of the screen enclosure. He can go in front of this "wall" or behind it -- I notice him basking but I bet he feels completely invisible. :D

I have my fake pothos positioned right when you open the door -- it is covering the first vertical 7 inches or so.

Def do a fecal.. But I always make there basking camouflaged with some of the fake plant materials from zoomed. They need to feel safe and secure. I make several paths of "escape" for them.

If his fecal checks out and the temps are correct, I would let him do his thing. He will go there if he gets cold. I have some that like it on the high end of there temps and some that like it on the low end. Just like personalities, their preference can vary too... IMO from what I have found.

I'd def try re-arranging a basking area if thats your problem.

Just figured out how to use these quotes haha but tomorrow i'll try and get some pictures. I'll do a before an after and hope for improvement.

To ensure privacy, I have a fake pothos vine that literally covers his basking area, almost like a wall, to the front side of the screen enclosure. He can go in front of this "wall" or behind it -- I notice him basking but I bet he feels completely invisible. :D

I have my fake pothos positioned right when you open the door -- it is covering the first vertical 7 inches or so.

I'll go ahead and give that a try tomorrow. I have a few fake plants that are not in use anyways. So you're saying your guys basking spot is like a little hideout corner? I like that idea. I think He might be scared of me and knows I come in the mornings through the door to put in feeders. So maybe I'll put the basking spot in the back left corner and cover it so it makes a wall where he can't see me.

Great idea! Thank you so much

Def do a fecal.. But I always make there basking camouflaged with some of the fake plant materials from zoomed. They need to feel safe and secure. I make several paths of "escape" for them.

If his fecal checks out and the temps are correct, I would let him do his thing. He will go there if he gets cold. I have some that like it on the high end of there temps and some that like it on the low end. Just like personalities, their preference can vary too... IMO from what I have found.
Thanks! This is another great response to answer my question. I'll def give him a more secured looking area.

At first I had TONS of foliage but he just hid all day so i cut down a few branches off his ficus tree. Which allowed him to move around allot more and get familiar with his cage. But i'm starting to think he's just scared of me. I open the cage every morning and toss in some feeders where his basking spot is, so maybe he trys to stay away as far as possible from me. With my other cham it's not a problem. They have identical set ups, but like you said it may be their personalities :) (And to my other cham, they have a wall that blocks sight from eachother.)

I'll give him some escape routes, coverage, walls, etc. Hopefully this will make him feel more secure and will want to bask.

I'll go ahead and give that a try tomorrow. I have a few fake plants that are not in use anyways. So you're saying your guys basking spot is like a little hideout corner? I like that idea. I think He might be scared of me and knows I come in the mornings through the door to put in feeders. So maybe I'll put the basking spot in the back left corner and cover it so it makes a wall where he can't see me.

Great idea! Thank you so much

You're welcome! :) It's like a building...he has a whole private "floor" that is covered from the viewing side where his basking area is. ;)

I have 3 sides covered with a plastic for humidity during the winter though, and that makes it a lot easier to hide his spot.

Yay!!!

Thanks so much guys!

This morning I rearranged Tyson's enclosure which I made his basking spot hidden in a corner so he''ll feel safe and away from me. Now he's been basking the past 15 minutes. He's all flat out sitting sideways absorbing all the heat.

I'm so happy he's figured it out! He's already found a sleeping spot that he sleeps at every night so hopefully he goes back to the same spot tonight.

Just wanted to say thanks!

I'll try and take pictures of my chams :)

Tyson is a Nosy Be and my other cham is a Nosy Faly boy named Sub Zero.

Back
Top Bottom