Heating

Jakedn

Well, I recently found out that I may be moving to Connecticut. In which it gets really cold in the winter. I wanted to hear what the costs are to keep a cage to an appropriate temperature for a veiled chameleon.

If the price is too high to keep the cage a proper temperature for Waldo, I may have to reluctantly give him up to somebody who can. I love him and would hate to do so, but I need to find out if it is or is not expensive to heat a cage through a white winter. If the price is too high, it is out of my hands and I would have to give him up and get a more appropriate species for the climate once we raise enough money.

This has been sprung on me, and we never saw ourselves ever moving out of state but my mom was offered the job of her dreams working for travelers insurance in Connecticut and she is getting offered a salary of around two hundred thousand along with an amazing relocation package and she simply can not pass it up. This has yet to be completely set in stone but it is a very high chance that we will be moving.

This will not be happening for a few months if it does happen, so I assume he will be healthy before we move. But, what would the best method be to transport him? I was thinking of finding somebody to watch him until we get his set up ready and then having him get shipped over to us in the new home, but I do not know if that would be the best method or not and would like to hear your guys' opinions on that.

Anyways, I would like to hear what you guys pay to heat your cages in a climate similar to Connecticut so that I may discuss it with my mom and see if we can keep him.

Thanks,
Jake

Am I the only one imagining 15 basking lights and 3 UBV tubes surrounding a cage outside in 2 feet of snow? lol :D

Seriously, I doubt it costs more then 0.10-0.20$ a day.

I live in Michigan (which is not quite the warmest state in the lower 48). Our living room (where my panther lives) houses the thermostat, and is not allowed below 60 at night (last year we did 64). We provide no extraneous night heating; his daytime heat comes from his combo UVB-basking bulb (mercury vapor, so puts out more heat than a Reptisun linear UVB - also considerably pricier per bulb); also we turn the heat up to 68 during the day. I talked with the breeder before getting a panther, to see if I needed to provide more heat, and she said he'd be fine with what we had (and he has been, for three winters now). Veiled is pretty comparable to panther; you should be okay.

I live in Michigan (which is not quite the warmest state in the lower 48). Our living room (where my panther lives) houses the thermostat, and is not allowed below 60 at night (last year we did 64). We provide no extraneous night heating; his daytime heat comes from his combo UVB-basking bulb (mercury vapor, so puts out more heat than a Reptisun linear UVB - also considerably pricier per bulb); also we turn the heat up to 68 during the day. I talked with the breeder before getting a panther, to see if I needed to provide more heat, and she said he'd be fine with what we had (and he has been, for three winters now). Veiled is pretty comparable to panther; you should be okay.

Hearing that definitely makes me happy.

Thanks!

-Jake

If you move in the winter, moving him might get a little tricky. I would be inclined to move, get set up, and have him shipped once your ready for him if possible; driving him across country in the winter would not be a good idea. The breeders usually won't ship if it's below 30. Even midwinter Connecticut will probably have a few warmer days.

If you move in the winter, moving him might get a little tricky. I would be inclined to move, get set up, and have him shipped once your ready for him if possible; driving him across country in the winter would not be a good idea. The breeders usually won't ship if it's below 30. Even midwinter Connecticut will probably have a few warmer days.

Well we won't be driving there so I will probably have to have somebody ship him to me once I get there.

Back
Top Bottom