Heat management

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
As temperatures begin to rise, I’ve been having a lot of trouble keeping Nachitos cage and basking spot from going higher than 78 degrees.
Even with herpstat and a fan blowing the bottom of the cage, the thermometer Kees reading as high as 83 degrees

Any recommendations or advice on how to keep temperatures down on hot days?

Maybe turn the basking light on for only a few hours every day instead of having it on all 12 hours.
My herpstat turns the basking light off whenever it gets to hot and I have turned it down to basking at 77 so it shouldn’t be on to much especially when temps start to rise 🤔

Is the herpstat kicking off when it reaches the set temp? What do you have it set on? What is your ambient room temp?

Is the herpstat kicking off when it reaches the set temp? What do you have it set on? What is your ambient room temp?
It shut the light off at 1 degree over the set temp. Set temp is 78, so it turns off at 79. My normal room temp before this was like 72 but recently it’s been close to 77 degrees.

It shut the light off at 1 degree over the set temp. Set temp is 78, so it turns off at 79. My normal room temp before this was like 72 but recently it’s been close to 77 degrees.
Ok so the herpstat is doing what it should by dimming it off. The issue is your ambient. The top of the cage will continue to climb because you have other lights on it and because heat rises to the ceiling. So you end up with hotter air at the top of the room. So you need to counteract the ambient heat. Either kick on the ac or if you do not have ac get a window unit to run during the day.

Ok so the herpstat is doing what it should by dimming it off. The issue is your ambient. The top of the cage will continue to climb because you have other lights on it and because heat rises to the ceiling. So you end up with hotter air at the top of the room. So you need to counteract the ambient heat. Either kick on the ac or if you do not have ac get a window unit to run during the day.
Ok! Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom