Heat Lamp Question

Mael

So this morning I woke up to find that the bulb in my heat lamp had died! Ohnoes! The bulb was a reptisun 50watt bulb - the kind you buy at pet stores. Ironically, a few days before I had picked up some new bulbs to use in my apartment.

The spectrum seems to be more white than my older bulb, but other than that it is exactly the same size, shape, and wattage as the "special reptile bulb". Is there something in these reptile bulbs that this bulb for house use wouldn't have?

The experts on this forum have said that any household bulb is ok for basking as long as you have a linerar bulb for uvb as well

that's good to hear! The spectrum is much more white than the regular "basking bulb" so it should bring out his colours more nicely like natural sunlight.

I can tell you, there really isn't much difference between those 'special' reptile bulbs and a normal house bulb. The only thing would be the coating that they CLAIM is full spectrum...but all it really does is change the color effects in the enclosure. The only reason I use them at all (I use ExoTerra 'SunGlo' bulbs) is because I have a box full of them already. :)

The difference comes in the night bulbs, but since Chams don't need them it's not important to mention here. :)

Back
Top Bottom