Health Issues

@Gus Gieg Ok so per my last posts you have things you need to fix now.

Have you gotten her an appointment with a reptile Vet yet? THIS is a MUST.
You are overfeeding for a female. This and heat directly impacts how many eggs they have. Problem here is she will have a lot of eggs due to the heat being so high and the large quantity of feeders. And you add in improper lighting which leads to MBD. then you add the lack of supplementation and gutloading her feeders. All of these things are going to make it very very hard on her to lay her eggs when it comes time. Egg binding is a real concern here.
Let me know once you find a reptile Vet. This is important you need someone that specializes in reptile health issues to help treat her. A regular vet will have no clue. Make the appointment and let me know. I will tell you what you need to do to transport her there in the safest manor.

I have ordered a T5HO light fixture and new supplements based on the chart, I'm also working on getting to a reptile vet. other than that I would say she looks better than yesterday, her eyes have been open most of the time and her colors look good.
Thanks so much guys

I got the light fixture and supplements up and running, she is definitely moving more and drinking, the eyes are still closed a good bit, but not anywhere near how long they used to be shut. I'm also feeding less. In all definitely improving and hopefully, she will be back to full health soon.
Again thank all of you so much for the help, and have a great day

I got the light fixture and supplements up and running, she is definitely moving more and drinking, the eyes are still closed a good bit, but not anywhere near how long they used to be shut. I'm also feeding less. In all definitely improving and hopefully, she will be back to full health soon.
Again thank all of you so much for the help, and have a great day
I would still consider taking her to a reptile vet especially if her eyes don't start improving now with the changes you have made. But it is good to hear that she is getting better.

@Beman I spoke with a vet who has worked with chams before, he said that with the changes I've made I've done about everything I should do for now. He also said improving humidity and making sure the temps are all right will do good. I'm still not going to sleep on the situation, but I think (knock on wood) it should get better.
Thanks again, if there is anything else that I should note for future chameleon care (cause I am still fairly new to it) I would love to know.
Have a great evening.

@Beman I spoke with a vet who has worked with chams before, he said that with the changes I've made I've done about everything I should do for now. He also said improving humidity and making sure the temps are all right will do good. I'm still not going to sleep on the situation, but I think (knock on wood) it should get better.
Thanks again, if there is anything else that I should note for future chameleon care (cause I am still fairly new to it) I would love to know.
Have a great evening.
That is good. Just remember not all Vets are super experienced with Chams and the info in this hobby has progressed quite a bit in the last 5-10 years.
I highly recommend the Chameleon Breeder podcast. They are fantastic and you will learn a ton. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/
Make sure you really read through this blog on egg laying. It is important to have this knowledge with your female.
Remember to always seek out knowledge in this hobby and you will be good. Ask questions when you are unsure. I don't believe that any question is a dumb question when someone is trying to learn :)

Just one final question, I made an egg laying bin, but I don't know if its right. Does this look ok?

Its a circle around 8 inches across, I'll look to add some sand to it so it holds tunnels better. It is also 8 inches deep.

Is it about 8” deep or is it actually 8” deep?

8 deep is acceptable, I definitely prefer coarse play sand for my bins and is all I recommend. If you can fit a 12” wide bin in there you need to do it. A narrow bin means she will have to stack the sand up higher as she digs, this increases the risk of collapse while she’s digging.

I took an exact measurement and its not quite 8 inches. I can get some sand to mix in, Also I could probably get a 12" wide bin in I would just have to move some stuff.
I read somewhere that a tall plastic trash bin with dirt on the bottom, sticks in it, and lights on the top can be good when their laying cause of privacy. Is this true?

Back
Top Bottom