Hawaiin chameleon

TinyDiamond

I live in Hawaii and have a few questions. What are you feeding your Chameleons? I am currently feeding crickets and meal worms. I want to add other things but can't seem to find other sources of food. And I was just doing a Hawaiian roll call to see how many people are on here. Hope to hear back!???

I would advise that you don't feed them mealworms.
I don't know what other insects are available there legally...I live in Canada.

Why should I not feed them meal worms? I have read a bunch of different articles that say its fine. It is pretty difficult to get some of the other food out here. The only two options that I know of are crickets and the mealies.

That makes sense. I do gut load all the food I give Tiny. Those bugs eat organic fruit and veggies. Lol I bet they love life till they enter the lions den ? thats a good article too! Thank you for sending it.

Definitely look for some advice or any recommendations on how to get other types of food out here. I want to keep Tiny as healthy as possible!!

Hello there! I’m soo glad to find another chameleon owner with the same feeder probs. I live Leeward side Oahu and yes no one is allowed to ship other live bugs to us here so it’s either crickets or mealworms (which aren’t good for them)... or if you are brave you could try raising the cockroaches.? Just to give my girl variety I caught her some flies (just a few cause they aren’t gutloaded and I worry about bacteria) and I caught a moth for her but other than that it’s just crickets. I also have a bee I caught in a soda bottle I’m gonna see if she’ll eat it tomorrow.

Do you have rolly pollies, pillbugs, sow bugs or isopods, the little bugs that live on the soil and roll up in a ball when you handle them in Hawaii? You shouldn't feed off the wild caught bugs because they can store heavy metals in their bodie but you can breed them and feed off the next generations you raise on vegetable scraps. There are threads here on how to raise them.
Black soldier flies are another possibility or even bottle flies or their larva if you can find a clean source.

I just took a brief (i.e. incomplete) look at insect feeders in hawaii, which included some older threads from here. Aside from crickets & mealies, the only other staple I saw mentioned was silkworms—if you can find them.

The only thing that comes to mind ATM is to see if there are any local herp societies, and try to network with other chameleon owners on the islands. Exotic pet shops may be another lead...
https://www.google.com/search?clien...2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

Best wishes

Thank you so much for the response. I was actually talking to my wife last night about possibly raiseing flies or roaches. I'm gonna do some digging today to see what else I can feed Tiny. @JacksJill are those bugs you listed ok to feed chameleons? I'm pretty sure we have roll pollies here. Since the food sorce is limited is it more important to add vitamins and gut loading the foods sorces?

Pill bugs or rolly pollies can be fed but you need to breed the wild caught adults and only feed off the offspring and subsequent generations. Pill bugs can contain a heavy metals from the wild. In short breed the adults discard them and you now have a colony to feed off. Feed them gut load options.

Back
Top Bottom