Hatchlings

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
I went to my local reptile store, they had so many chameleons today and I was so happy to see all of them with the correct lighting and enclosures. I was so tempted to get a hatchling but I’ve read it’s not good to get them at this age so I wanted some input before adopting it. I’ve been thinking about getting another for a while but what are your thoughts on adopting hatchlings ?

Attachments

• F7F98ECE-55B8-4427-801C-E1F2237E72B6.jpeg
    F7F98ECE-55B8-4427-801C-E1F2237E72B6.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 69
If you have the set up done properly then there is little to no issue at all. They thrive under the right conditions. That one looks to be about 2 months old. It is the same as an older baby... If put into the right environment they thrive. When the environment/husbandry is not suited to a cham they decline and die.

But your checking for obvious issues... Eyes closed... Any bites from other babies, how long they have been there etc.

You want alert, no wounds, holding themselves up on branches nice and strong.

If you have the set up done properly then there is little to no issue at all. They thrive under the right conditions. That one looks to be about 2 months old. It is the same as an older baby... If put into the right environment they thrive. When the environment/husbandry is not suited to a cham they decline and die.

But your checking for obvious issues... Eyes closed... Any bites from other babies, how long they have been there etc.

You want alert, no wounds, holding themselves up on branches nice and strong.
Okay good to know, and would you recommend putting them into their permanent enclosure are starting off with a smaller one since it is so small?

Okay good to know, and would you recommend putting them into their permanent enclosure are starting off with a smaller one since it is so small?
You can do either... Honestly if an enclosure is set up right then a baby will have no issues navigating it and finding food. I would raise your fixtures off the top 4 inches though. Then if your using a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% bulb you would raise that as well then basking would be 5-6 inches below the screen.
Babies screen climb like crazy so you have to ensure that they are not exposed to a much too high of uvi level. Doing it this way insures that.
Temps are lower for babies as well. Your looking at 75-78max at basking.

You want a feeder run as well. I would not free feed ever but especially not with a baby. If the feeders get hungry they will chew on baby while it sleeps.

All live plants etc. etc.

So that is honestly the real difference.. If you can not find mature enough plants to fill out a 2x2x4 enclosure then a baby size 16x16x30 would be better so that there is a lot of plant cover.

Tiny branches and tiny vines for tiny feet. lol

I do like smaller enclosures just for the simple fact that it is easier to find the urate and fecal. lol

You can do either... Honestly if an enclosure is set up right then a baby will have no issues navigating it and finding food. I would raise your fixtures off the top 4 inches though. Then if your using a T5HO with a 5.0 or 6% bulb you would raise that as well then basking would be 5-6 inches below the screen.
Babies screen climb like crazy so you have to ensure that they are not exposed to a much too high of uvi level. Doing it this way insures that.
Temps are lower for babies as well. Your looking at 75-78max at basking.

You want a feeder run as well. I would not free feed ever but especially not with a baby. If the feeders get hungry they will chew on baby while it sleeps.

All live plants etc. etc.

So that is honestly the real difference.. If you can not find mature enough plants to fill out a 2x2x4 enclosure then a baby size 16x16x30 would be better so that there is a lot of plant cover.

Tiny branches and tiny vines for tiny feet. lol

I do like smaller enclosures just for the simple fact that it is easier to find the urate and fecal. lol
Okay thank your for always being so helpful and informative! I would also probably start in a smaller enclosure for the reasons you said. I would never leave unattended feeders in the cage anyway, the risk of them being bitten always frightens me. I’ll start doing some more research before making my decision but this has helped so thanks. :)

Okay thank your for always being so helpful and informative! I would also probably start in a smaller enclosure for the reasons you said. I would never leave unattended feeders in the cage anyway, the risk of them being bitten always frightens me. I’ll start doing some more research before making my decision but this has helped so thanks. :)
Remember you want a very alert baby. Strong holding itself up all mighty on the branch. You want to really visually look baby over. No signs of tail or limb injury from bites or burns. etc. Eyes open not closing.

At that age you will see a tiny tarsal spur as well on the little boys.

You will need lots and lots of feeders. My 3 month old was taking down 2-3 dozen 1/4 inch feeders a day. lol

Remember you want a very alert baby. Strong holding itself up all mighty on the branch. You want to really visually look baby over. No signs of tail or limb injury from bites or burns. etc. Eyes open not closing.

At that age you will see a tiny tarsal spur as well on the little boys.

You will need lots and lots of feeders. My 3 month old was taking down 2-3 dozen 1/4 inch feeders a day. lol
They all seemed super alert, they were moving around a lot and were all in different branches there was about 4 in the same enclosure which had a me a bit questionable. If I decide to go back, I will make sure to look out for all of those things. My girl I have currently was about 3 months when I got her as well, and was also eating a ton! Thank you Beman

Back
Top Bottom