Hanging out at the bottom of his cage- when should I be concerned??

i was just wondering how to tell the difference between your chameleon hangout out at the bottom of the cage more because its hot in the house or because he’s sick?

For me the big difference is if a chameleon has the ability to climb or not. If they are so weak they are unable to climb then they are likely on the bottom because they are sick. But if they have great grip strength, their eyes are healthy and active, then it's usually just them exploring. A 3rd scenario would be the temps are too hot so they're trying to cool off which is a common occurrence in the summer.

Hi do you pictures of your enclosure, what type of chameleon do you have, what sex ?
Male panther chameleon, 3 years old
(He had another plant but it died I’m working on getting another one so I know there’s not a ton of foliage rn)
(And the bowls on the bottom are just to catch water from his dripper)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 38
For me the big difference is if a chameleon has the ability to climb or not. If they are so weak they are unable to climb then they are likely on the bottom because they are sick. But if they have great grip strength, their eyes are healthy and active, then it's usually just them exploring. A 3rd scenario would be the temps are too hot so they're trying to cool off which is a common occurrence in the summer.
Ok that’s a relief to hear. He eats, drinks, climbs, has his eyes open and has strength so then I assume he’s just hot then. Thank you

Does that window get direct sun? If so it is going to heat up the ambient temps quite a bit getting hotter towards the ceiling. Can you turn the air conditioning on and see if setting it at 72 makes a difference in how he is acting?

Does that window get direct sun? If so it is going to heat up the ambient temps quite a bit getting hotter towards the ceiling. Can you turn the air conditioning on and see if setting it at 72 makes a difference in how he is acting?
It does but around the end of the day. Maybe I’ll keep the curtain closed and turn the ac down to 72 and see if that helps

Mine only hangs around the bottom when ambient starts creeping into the upper 70's low 80's. Else they always hang out mid cage and just make laps to and from the lights.

Mine only hangs around the bottom when ambient starts creeping into the upper 70's low 80's. Else they always hang out mid cage and just make laps to and from the lights.
Ok good to know, that’s what mine seems to be doing. I just wanted to make sure it’s normal behavior for chameleons

Ok good to know, that’s what mine seems to be doing. I just wanted to make sure it’s normal behavior for chameleons
It is normal behavior when temps are too hot... If he has any other symptoms though... Sleeping during the day, closing his eyes, reduced or no eating, not drinking, etc. That is when we have to look more closely at the entire husbandry and chameleon.

Male panther chameleon, 3 years old
(He had another plant but it died I’m working on getting another one so I know there’s not a ton of foliage rn)
(And the bowls on the bottom are just to catch water from his dripper)
Hi just make sure your bowls at the bottom are cleaned every day and obviously risned properly, until you get some new plants which you can run your dripper into as you don't want your little guy drinking any water that has become tainted

It is normal behavior when temps are too hot... If he has any other symptoms though... Sleeping during the day, closing his eyes, reduced or no eating, not drinking, etc. That is when we have to look more closely at the entire husbandry and chameleon.
Ok good to know thank you so much!! My chameleon eats drinks and has his eyes open all day

Hi just make sure your bowls at the bottom are cleaned every day and obviously risned properly, until you get some new plants which you can run your dripper into as you don't want your little guy drinking any water that has become tainted
Thank you! I do make sure I clean them regularly. Do you have any plant recommendations that can take a lot of water by chance??

Thank you! I do make sure I clean them regularly. Do you have any plant recommendations that can take a lot of water by chance??
Pothos as mentioned are pretty tolerant, I have four types in with with my panther ( lol auto type nearly put partner) so my plants I have a dwarf umbrella( schefflera arbicola) in case you need the Latin as a base plant along with madagascar jasmine, ( climbing) then the Pothos hanging down ( the golden pothos is good for hanging, but I also find the satin pothos is really good for and easier to spread out around the enclosure, heart leaf philodendron, tradescantia aka wandering jew aka inch plant are also very nice to add different accents of colours, there are different varieties, take a look on chameleon academy also . 😀

Back
Top Bottom