Handling question

Kylarben92

Now that she has gotten comfortable with coming onto my hand. She tries to come out everytime I feed her. She doesnt puff up or show any signs of anything. Could it be she likes to come out? I know most Vieled Chams dont like handled but what if she does? Just curious

It usually means there is something wrong with their enclosure, though there is the rare occassion where they just seem friendlier.
Her enclosure is perfect for her. Perfect temps and everything. She doesnt stay out she comes out to eat and hangs for a second and then wants back into the enclosure

Her enclosure is perfect for her. Perfect temps and everything. She doesnt stay out she comes out to eat and hangs for a second and then wants back into the enclosure
I’ve heard some chams can be picky no matter what. @DeremensisBlue mentioned he had what he believed was an ideal enclosure all set up for one of his chams who ended up hating it. I think he’s keeping a different cham in there who appreciates it ? Just make sure the rest of your husbandry is on point and there isn’t another issue causing her stress.

The first thing we always go to is how is the chameleons enclosure set up... This is very important. This is the most common reason why they will want to leave that space if given the opportunity.

So I agree with posting pics of everything...

With that being said. There are Veiled's that have a "friendlier" attitude about coming out. This does not mean they stay this way as they mature. My male happened to enjoy coming out until he hit maturity. Now he chooses when and if I am able to take him out. Food trust building is still key for my handling him when I need to. He will do anything for a treat. Here is the blog I did on trust building. There are two videos there as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

The first thing we always go to is how is the chameleons enclosure set up... This is very important. This is the most common reason why they will want to leave that space if given the opportunity.

So I agree with posting pics of everything...

With that being said. There are Veiled's that have a "friendlier" attitude about coming out. This does not mean they stay this way as they mature. My male happened to enjoy coming out until he hit maturity. Now he chooses when and if I am able to take him out. Food trust building is still key for my handling him when I need to. He will do anything for a treat. Here is the blog I did on trust building. There are two videos there as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/
I have been working on trust exercises for weeks. And she doesnt run to come out.

Attachments

• 20200509_120639.jpg
    20200509_120639.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200509_100132.jpg
    20200509_100132.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 80
I have been working on trust exercises for weeks. And she doesnt run to come out.
cage is getting better but still not ideal. The hanging mat thing should be removed... They can get their nails caught in them. You want branches not artificial structures.

This is my favorite site for setting up an enclosure. https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/

It is a lot in the beginning setting it up just right for them. Think trees sitting above you in the sky. That is their typical environment. More of a canopy with branches and leaves to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom