Halogen basking bulbs?

SliK JiM

Just wondering if anyone is using them? Are they any better? Can they still be dimmed like an incandescent. I'm tempted to switch as generally the light is nicer and my normal bulb should be dead shortly!

Hi, I've been using the Exo Terra Sun Glo Halogen lamp for my new Cham set up, BUT I think I got the wrong wattage, 150w, which puts out a vast amount of heat ( basking temp got into high 40c's to nearly 50c at a distance of 12"!). The light also penetrates farther into the enclosure so I'll be keeping this bulb until I build a much larger enclosure ( have gone back to using an Exo terra Sun Glo spot for the time being while I get a lower wattage bulb :) ) It can be dimmed with no problems and I agree the light is much nicer.

Howdy Jim,

Halogen lights are fine. I use the ones made by Philips but I'd assume that any of the brands made for household use are ok. I use the 60W FLOOD style. I'm not a big fan of SPOT lights. I like it less concentrated.

217_indoor.jpg

http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_...g&parent=7593748565&id=us_en_products&lang=en

Howdy Jim,

Halogen lights are fine. I use the ones made by Philips but I'd assume that any of the brands made for household use are ok. I use the 60W FLOOD style. I'm not a big fan of SPOT lights. I like it less concentrated.

I use the same light. I'm not sure whether or not they can be dimmed though,sorry. Just remember to check your temps if you do get one, because they do get hotter the longer they are kept on.

halogens

i also use a halogen. i use a compact 35w flood, the type with the thicker front lens. it is a flood, but it still has a sweet spot, even though its compact, it still produces about 84* in the sweet spot at about 28". like dave, i am not a big fan of spot lighting, or concentrated light sources, i also believe in using the smallest wattage that will do the job . i would love to find a 15-20 watt one of these. i am not a big fan of dimmers either, but, both types are dimmable. a couple of things to keep in mind when using halogen bulbs, they are usually hotter than the same size/wattage incandescent, and they have been known to shatter when sprayed with water (thats why i prefer the type with the thicker front lense) plus, they are pricey compared to incandescent and they sometimes die prematurely if they get bumped while they are turned on. halogens should always be used with a ceramic socket. jmo

Attachments

• Picture 159.jpg
    Picture 159.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Picture 161.jpg
    Picture 161.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Cheers for all the responses guys. I guess its halogen all the way from here on out then. The light looks so much nicer! Now all I've got to do is find somewhere that isn't charging over the odds for them! This is the price I pay for living in the UK! :( Plus it rains alot! hahaha

I know there has been a law passed in the EU about non energy saving bulbs, but I can't seem to find any ES halogen bulbs out there for less than £8 ($12)! They never used to be that price! I know I'd need a new holder, but are the GU10 a good alternative? I know they're not of a spot light, but they're the only things available!

I use PAR20 50w flood lamps. they make a good amount of heat, are small and bright. I think they make more heat than a normal household lamp with less energy...

.. I know I'd need a new holder, but are the GU10 a good alternative? I know they're not of a spot light, but they're the only things available!
Hyah, just to let you know, the Exo Terra Dual Canopy has as its heat bulb a halogen bulb that uses the GU10 fitting, I've got one on one of my exo terra's and the 50w puts out a fair bit of heat, also try The Pink Skink Herp Shop on Ebay for some other types of lights, might find some that will do for you as they have a few ES lamps of different makes ( their other site is www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk if you want to have a look:D) I believe you may be able to buy a clamp lamp/reflector fitting for the GU10's but I'm not totally sure :D

I use a halogen, I love how much light it puts out. It's a little hotter than a normal house bulb so I just make sure it is higher up above the cage.

I use PAR20 50w flood lamps. they make a good amount of heat, are small and bright. I think they make more heat than a normal household lamp with less energy...

Trust ebay to find what you're after! :D http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-50w-240v...ewItemQQptZUK_Light_Bulbs?hash=item20b00cf57d

I'll give the guy an email tonight or something as it seems a little too cheap compared to the rest!

Is yours a 63 or an 80mm diameter bulb? I've got the number of the company that makes the bulbs now, so I might go direct to source! :D

Hyah, just to let you know, the Exo Terra Dual Canopy has as its heat bulb a halogen bulb that uses the GU10 fitting, I've got one on one of my exo terra's and the 50w puts out a fair bit of heat, also try The Pink Skink Herp Shop on Ebay for some other types of lights, might find some that will do for you as they have a few ES lamps of different makes ( their other site is www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk if you want to have a look:D) I believe you may be able to buy a clamp lamp/reflector fitting for the GU10's but I'm not totally sure :D

Yeah, I think exo terra have released a halogen glow light thing for use with GU10's but I didn't know if they were any good!

Last edited:
Well, I got them yesterday, had them up and running today and they're awesome! They look just like the one in xanthoman's post and provide much better light and heat!

Cheers all!

50W.

This might help, I did this test for a UK forum:

Right, my setup for testing looked like below (in my garage) and I left each trial for about 10minutes.

DSCN0503.jpg

With the light off, the base temps were:
Analogue: 10°c
Digital 1: 10.4°c
Digital 2: 10.5°c

Then, at 24”:
Analogue: 16+°c
Digital 1: 16.6°c
Digital 2: 14.6°c

Then, at 12”:
Analogue: 28+°c
Digital 1: 24.6°c
Digital 2: 21.2°c

Then, at 8”:
Analogue: 41-°c
Digital 1: 36.2°c
Digital 2: 34.0°c

So, roughly speaking:
At 24” it increased the temperature by 6°c
At 12” it increased the temperature by 15°c
At 8” it increased the temperature by 26°c

The temps were still ‘wobbling’ upwards, so I presume there is a little more to get out of the bulb if I’d have left it for longer. Bearing in mind it was a cold environment, I guess the increase would be greater in a generally warmer environment.

Hope that helps!

p.s - on the analogue reading, + means just above the temp and - was below!

Enjoy

they are best used undimmed. dimming changes the bright white light into a brownish light that casts an orangish hue, and cheap dimmers arent all that reliable at holding a stable temp or intensity, that is why i always recomend using the lowest wattage that will achieve the temps you are looking for (undimmed). let me say this about the exo-terra tops with the g-10 halogens. my personal opinion is that they are probably the ticket for frogs, cause frogs are always at the bottom of the tank (perfect distance,(14"?) plus froggers often use 2.0 bulbs), but chams are always at the top of the tank, and distance is still required. the assumption is that if somebody is going to use one of those hoods, (whether on a cham tank or an exoterra terrarium) that they are going to put it directly on top of the tank, (because they want it to look good) who would spend a $100+ on a hood to suspend it a foot off the top of the cage. anyway, if its right on top of the cage, then that in my opinion, puts the halogen & uvb, too close.(< 4") jmo /edit/ just for the record, the bulbs i use have a 63mm (2.5") lens and are designated r20 (r63 in the uk) they are 35 watt, but i would love to find some that are 20w, they are ge reveal (tm), i did a side by side test with a regular halogen of the same size and wattage and my male always picked the reveal, so thats the ones i use. (but maybe he just liked that branch better, i didnt think of that, i should have tried switching sides?) in a 70-75*room, it keeps the basking spot 84*, at about 14", they are about $10 each at hd. jmo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom