Gular edema?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
I saw a post on Facebook in the groups earlier about someone’s cham always having the puffed up throat. My girl isn’t always like that but a lot of the time she’s like this. It is more often since she’s became receptive so idk if it’s related to that. I wanna say maybe 60% of the time she has it puffed out. Maybe I’m overthinking it. Who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_7223.jpeg
    IMG_7223.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 38
Can you show a side profile? The turkey chin (patent pending) isnt too unusual, but gular edema can be in there, too. Im struggling with it for two of my
Males since last summer. I’ve
Changed supplements, schedules, indoors, outdoors - no change. One has always had it, since they were a baby - so I am thinking his is permanent (vet wasnt concerned). The other developed it at the end of last summer, after a medical procedure. Have had a hard time shaking it. I am starting to wonder if its related to silkworm / hornworm chow … a theory I will be testing this winter.

She’s sleeping now but these are from the 14th and then last Friday. I know not exactly side profile but I don’t have anything terrible recent where she’s not being over dramatic.
She gets a hornworm maybe once a week. No silkworms. Mainly dubia, crickets, BSFL.

Attachments

• IMG_7074.jpeg
    IMG_7074.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7158.jpeg
    IMG_7158.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 34
Here’s an example of how it presents for my old man, who developed it after a medical procedure. I am not sure if that factored in, but he developed it at 6 years old. Look between his shoulders - its puffy around what would be his breast area.

The veiled is the one who has had it since he was only a few months old (maybe older). IMG_7696.jpeg IMG_7667.jpeg

Here’s an example of how it presents for my old man, who developed it after a medical procedure. I am not sure if that factored in, but he developed it at 6 years old. Look between his shoulders - its puffy around what would be his breast area.

The veiled is the one who has had it since he was only a few months old (maybe older).View attachment 342363View attachment 342364
Oh okay. Yeah she doesn’t have it on her chest area like yours does that I’ve seen. Maybe she thinks double chins are going to attract a boy😂

She’s sleeping now but these are from the 14th and then last Friday. I know not exactly side profile but I don’t have anything terrible recent where she’s not being over dramatic.
She gets a hornworm maybe once a week. No silkworms. Mainly dubia, crickets, BSFL.

The silkworms are just a theory for my situation. Gular edema can present for several reasons, and I believe its sometimes difficult to pinpoint the culprit. Supplements and schedule, hydration, organ function can all play a roll… others Im forgetting, Im sure.

That being said, I cant say I am seeing edema in your pics. Just letting her chin puff out. For comparison, here’s the same veiled I pictured above - puffing his chin like your girl seems to
Be doing. Notice the difference in the lump in his chest vs chin?

IMG_1019.jpeg

The silkworms are just a theory for my situation. Gular edema can present for several reasons, and I believe its sometimes difficult to pinpoint the culprit. Supplements and schedule, hydration, organ function can all play a roll… others Im forgetting, Im sure.

That being said, I cant say I am seeing edema in your pics. Just letting her chin puff out. For comparison, here’s the same veiled I pictured above - puffing his chin like your girl seems to
Be doing. Notice the difference in the lump in his chest vs chin?

View attachment 342365
I see it now. I can’t remember if the Facebook picture I saw had it like that too. I just saw puffed chin and someone say it was that.
If she was to develop edema like that though what should I do?

I was able to get a side picture this morning where she wasn’t excessively puffing up. But I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it. For now😂

Attachments

• IMG_7235.jpeg
    IMG_7235.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 39
So in the last two images you posted see how it comes down farther between her legs... That is more of a sign of edema. Now with females we can see this more frequently prior to egg laying. Then it dissipates after the eggs have been laid. I am not seeing anything extreme though or cause for concern. The pictures @snitz427 posted for you are a clear edema issue and like she said many things can play into it because essentially it comes down to an imbalance in the body. We see it most frequently when supplements are not correct. But even surgery can trigger it. I dealt with it when I used bee pollen in everything. Once I pulled all excess bee pollen his edema resolved.

So in the last two images you posted see how it comes down farther between her legs... That is more of a sign of edema. Now with females we can see this more frequently prior to egg laying. Then it dissipates after the eggs have been laid. I am not seeing anything extreme though or cause for concern. The pictures @snitz427 posted for you are a clear edema issue and like she said many things can play into it because essentially it comes down to an imbalance in the body. We see it most frequently when supplements are not correct. But even surgery can trigger it. I dealt with it when I used bee pollen in everything. Once I pulled all excess bee pollen his edema resolved.
Okay so maybe she has a little bit? Should I wait until after she lays to worry about changing things? I’m following the recommended supplement schedule.

Charlie (veiled) has had it mostly for life, and I believe his is something internal (he has also been a gaper since birth, but no RI or visual defects). He is about to turn 5 and otherwise happy/healthy as a clam. No issues, regular check ups. No URIs. Just something out of whack.

Donnie’s (panther) came on after surgery almost exactly 1 year ago and I suspect its kidneys and/or medication related. He has had reoccurring issues and so even though its been a year, he has been on and off antibiotics 3x now in that period. He is about to turn 7.

Hope it helps shed some light. I will say that its less noticeable some days. Def keep an eye on it to see if it vanishes after her clutch or if it lingers. It will likely take some time to clear up.

Back
Top Bottom