Grub?

Sky11

I was spot cleaning the bottom of my chams enclosure today when I noticed this white thing in the hole of this small piece of wood I had to prop up a little ladder. I thought it was a urate at first and then I noticed it was a lot bigger and I was scared it was a bug so my mom poked it out with a tooth pick and it looked like some thick white worm I have no idea what it was kind of looked like a grub but not. She flushed it down the toilet before I could get a picture but I'm concerned. What the heck was that? Should I be worried for my Cham? I don't know what to do and it's freaking me out so any suggestions would be appreciated.

If it looked like it had been eating the wood, it may have been some species of wood borer larvae.
Personally, I would get that piece of wood out of the house, and inspect any other wood for signs of same. This is not a bug you want loose in your house, they can do damage to furniture, woodwork, etc.

Nuisance wood borers and seed insects in homes
ok I threw the piece of wood out but before I did I found a different kind of worm than the last one crawling by it so I took a pic do u think this could be a parasite or from the wood too? Either way I’m getting a fecal done next week
59260320-E008-43D0-9F71-2D451C61A43D.jpeg

Was this wood dead or sterilized? Wood borers go after that. Probably some sort of beetle grub like you said. I wouldn't worry, never heard of anyone having problems in their house, but I guess in some areas they could be problematic depending on species. I've witnessed them on numerous occasions and it was always with wood that i heat treated or was dead and dry. Never had any problems other than replacing a branch or something. It's really nothing to be too concerned about.

The picture is an earthworm, good in some cases, not so much in others. They can compact soil over time in large numbers.

Was this wood dead or sterilized? Wood borers go after that. Probably some sort of beetle grub like you said. I wouldn't worry, never heard of anyone having problems in their house, but I guess in some areas they could be problematic depending on species. I've witnessed them on numerous occasions and it was always with wood that i heat treated or was dead and dry. Never had any problems other than replacing a branch or something. It's really nothing to be too concerned about.

The picture is an earthworm, good in some cases, not so much in others. They can compact soil over time in large numbers.
It was a piece of wood I got on amazon I think, made for reptiles so it was dead.

ok I threw the piece of wood out but before I did I found a different kind of worm than the last one crawling by it so I took a pic do u think this could be a parasite or from the wood too? Either way I’m getting a fecal done next week

Could be an earthworm. I'm having trouble making out any clitellum, but that could mean it's immature or just be my eyes.

Wood borers are beetles. I was hoping you might remember enough to recognize it from one of the pics of wood borer larvae.

I chose the second link above because it's from your home state. If it were me and I were concerned about anything I found, I would send a pic with as much info as possible to the UofM Extension for identification; there's a link at the bottom of the page.

Since the wood came from online, there may be no way to tell what kind of larvae since we can't narrow down the geographical origin.

It was a piece of wood I got on amazon I think, made for reptiles so it was dead.
Yup probably a wood boring beetle grub. shouldn't be a big deal. I've seen them, but never had issues. If they destroy the piece of wood, just remove it.

I found out it was a super worm larva lol I’ve never seen one before and it freaked me out

Back
Top Bottom