Great stuff foam and cricket

zordtaz

Hi, I am preparing new cage for my guy. I want to know that the Great Stuff Foam is cricket proof or not. I would like to create wall like in Dragon Strand website. But the problem is I do free range for my boy. Since he don't like to do cup feeding. So I wasnt sure that cricket will eat foam as food or not. It is not good idea if cricket eat and then chameleon eat cricket later. Any suggestion will help. Thanks

If you cover the Great Stuff with black silicone and then cocoa fibers you should be good. The great stuff will have crevices, however by putting the silicone (the stuff you use on ponds), and then the cocoa fiber it will smooth out the places where a cricket might be able to burrow. I don't think the cricket would eat the foam just on it's own, but I don't know that for sure.

I have an entire foam wall with plants and branches in it without using the silicone or fiber. I free roam crickets all the time and they are never that interested in the foam, the roaches climb around it sometimes, but the crickets mainly stay to the top screen. The ones that do go on the foam quickly go back to the screen. Our cham's eyesight seems so good that they find them in no time anyway. I've only had a couple crickets ever seem to get lost in his cage, but never saw them chew the foam or cause any problems.

I actually like the plain black foam look, but when i build another one i'm going to try sculpting the foam and using the silicone/fiber to see how it turns out. I suggest using egg crate(light diffuser) to mount your pots/branches/etc on that you're foaming and foam over that. Then just secure that to the dragon ledges for easy removal.

I have an entire foam wall with plants and branches in it without using the silicone or fiber. I free roam crickets all the time and they are never that interested in the foam, the roaches climb around it sometimes, but the crickets mainly stay to the top screen. The ones that do go on the foam quickly go back to the screen. Our cham's eyesight seems so good that they find them in no time anyway. I've only had a couple crickets ever seem to get lost in his cage, but never saw them chew the foam or cause any problems.

I actually like the plain black foam look, but when i build another one i'm going to try sculpting the foam and using the silicone/fiber to see how it turns out. I suggest using egg crate(light diffuser) to mount your pots/branches/etc on that you're foaming and foam over that. Then just secure that to the dragon ledges for easy removal.

I will try it once the weather is nice than now. I need time to cure the foam too. We are just got another snow last night and one more day here. Thanks a bunch

I'm dealing with the snow in the NE too :/ annoying. Been wanting to get my large cage set up, but it's hard to do it all inside, and foam should be done outside anyway, i hear it's fumes are pretty dangerous.

I'm dealing with the snow in the NE too :/ annoying. Been wanting to get my large cage set up, but it's hard to do it all inside, and foam should be done outside anyway, i hear it's fumes are pretty dangerous.

We just finish the snow now (I hope). I have lot of plan for new cage but still need to wait for good weather. I just want to make sure that the cricket don't eat the foam since I saw that sometimes he don't eat them right away. He let them stay for another day and eat in the next morning.

Yup my guy does the same, but a lot of people use the foam, i've never heard of any problems with it. I like it a lot and plan to keep foaming cages in the future.

Yup my guy does the same, but a lot of people use the foam, i've never heard of any problems with it. I like it a lot and plan to keep foaming cages in the future.
Got it. I saw one of the post and they saw that cricket will eat everything. It kinda freak me out a bit. Most of everybody here did cup feeding. Only minimum that do free roam. Anyway, thank for confirm with me. At least help me get some confidence to use it

Back
Top Bottom