Gravid veiled female??

Chiichan

So last week I posted some concerns about my female behaving unusually aggressive, which is not like her at all. She has not eaten for a few days now, although she did attempt to eat a cricket yesterday and failed, she did not try again. Showing some sort of interest in food was hopeful.

Im having to mist her twice a day and occasionally soak her in shallow water since she hasn't been drinking from her spray bottle like she used to. As far as noticing any weight loss, I have not seen any drastic changes. She had a tiny poop yesterday, which I would expect since she hasn't been eating normally.

I intoduced our young male, about 5 months old to her to see if she would react as feisty as she did weeks before, and she did not. He did mount her and she did nothing, I assume she was receptive. This occured twice in a couple days, the first lasted longer than the second. I honestly was doubtful that copulation was successful.

It is now day 2 after they did business and ive kept her in a seperate terrarium to see if she'd eat crickets in an enclosed habitat, since I she's usually in a free roam enclosure in half of our large closet.

Anyway, after reintroducing them, she was showing the common unreceptive behavior and changed to what looked like the dark green with yellow spots and hint of blue colors a gravid female displays? Please
Correct me if im wrong.

I have a laying bin next to her tree incase she needs to lay. 50 sand 50 coconut dirt. I posted a picture in my previous post. She doesnt seem very interested in it and im wondering if I put 2nd bin thats different so that she can have options??

Should or Do i place her in the laying bin and remove her from her tree? Would it even matter? Personally I would think if and when she is ready to lay she will. She seems kind of shy when i am distant from her tree, but aggressive when I handle her. Should I just keep the doors closed for a few days? Only problem with that is.. The switches to the lamp are inside the closet so I would have to open the doors to turn them off.

Also, The weather has become relatively chilly now that it is winter. She has the basking light and the uvb light that she needs, but doesnt seem to always bask underneath it. Heck.. I would if I could. Might the cold weather affect her behavior and/or eating??

Sorry for the long post, Im just concerned mainly about her becoming eggbound and her unusual change in eating habits. Btw.. There is a feed cup with mealworms and superworms for her to eat if she does get hungry. I put a cricket or two in there but they eventually escape.

Any input or advice, other than an automatic
"Take her to the vet" would be nice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
SHe looks to be gravid.

And if the did indeed breed, then it takes 4-6 weeks to have to lay.

just let her have access to the bin 24/7 and she will lay when she is ready.

if she is gravid, eating habits can change, or shes just bored with crickets.

Thanks for the immediate response! Should I not worry about keeping the doors closed until the 4-6week mark then? We are often on the computer which is located next to the closet and she never acted like it bothered her until recently. She seems to want to hide more. :(

Thanks for the immediate response! Should I not worry about keeping the doors closed until the 4-6week mark then? We are often on the computer which is located next to the closet and she never acted like it bothered her until recently. She seems to want to hide more. :(

If the doors are closed, does she lose access to her bin?

Otherwise, just let her be, they get moody when gravid.

If the doors are closed, does she lose access to her bin?

Otherwise, just let her be, they get moody when gravid.
Not at all. Everything is in the closet and the bin is next to her tree. The only time I would need to open it is to turn off the lights at night for her to sleep. Im
Just always curious to know if she's eating or moving around! Lol! I never had to close the doors before, but if she wont want to do anything with them open then I guess ill have to keep them closed :(

It never bothered her before :(

If she doesnt want to move, thats ok.

you dont have to close the doors. Just let her do her thing.

SHes probalby not as active because shes gravid, some get antsy, others dont.

If she doesnt want to move, thats ok.

you dont have to close the doors. Just let her do her thing.

SHes probalby not as active because shes gravid, some get antsy, others dont.
Ahhh!! Thanks so much! I hope she starts eating soon.. I dont want her to starve. If the thing about her being tired of crickets is true, hopefully she'll have interest in the worms. She's had neither for a few days now. And ive read that gravid females usually eat more, but shes doing the complete opposite. Considering she is gravid.

it varies cham to cham.

Ever been around a pregnant woman? Same thing.

My female didnt get super antsty when she was gravid, and wasnt a voracious eater.

new bugs never hurt.

Back
Top Bottom