Got a baby chameleon yesterday, he’s four months, but he won’t bask on his basking branch

sarie

He’s turned black i think to absorb the sun but he’s on a branch that’s the same temperature as the ambient temperature 77 degrees. the basking spot is at 85-90 degrees and he won’t go there. maybe he’s just adjusting but is this normal ? he’s hand feeding crickets and worms already though.

Your going to let him do his thing for a while, just keep him hydrated, fed, provide gradients in his cage and he’ll take care of the rest. Make sure to add lots of plants for cover, he’s not nearly as excited to see you as you are to see him. He’ll come around

@Beman is right about the basking temperature being too hot.
Be careful that the basking light isn't close enough to burn him as well. To test it, place youth and inside the cage as close as you can get it to the light, palm side down..if you would like to move your hand then it's likely hot enough to burn your chameleon.

What species did you get? 85-90 is hot for a basking temp for an adult much less a baby.
Can you take a pic of the cage so we can make sure it is set up right?
hey! here’s a picture. he’s now on his basking spot😁i read somewhere for ambilobe panthers that 85-90 is a good basking temp. what do you suggest? i lowered his basking branch and checked with a digital temp gun and now it’s around 83-85. there are other branches he also goes to which are cooler

Attachments

• 40931501-F5B7-4C14-86DF-2A8D472D4A89.jpeg
    40931501-F5B7-4C14-86DF-2A8D472D4A89.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 82
So 85 would be the max I would go for a juvenile to adult age at basking. Get a wired probe thermostat to tell exactly what the temp is below the heat fixture. Temp guns measure surface temp which is not all that accurate.

So 85 would be the max I would go for a juvenile to adult age at basking. Get a wired probe thermostat to tell exactly what the temp is below the heat fixture. Temp guns measure surface temp which is not all that accurate.
thanks! is it possible to send a link to the one you have?

Back
Top Bottom