Glass Enclosures? Replace w/ Screen?

m1ndless

I got a 37 gallon new tank for free from my friend, and I want to put my cham in it, my roomate has always used full glass enclosures without a problem, he just mounts a small desk fan above it so it blows fresh air into the tank, his cham is 4 years old and has no problems.. is his just lucky or should I not risk it?

Is there anyway to take the front glass out and replace with mesh? Can I just break it and hot glue a mesh screen onto the front, or is there a better way?

Also... I bought some plants (2x pothos) for my chams cage, I am growing them in its cage right now, I bought pesticide free ones, and washed them and everything, do I need to wash them again before I put the cham in the tank? They have been in the tank in my room for about 2 weeks now.

For what it's worth, it has been my experience that taking something I have and trying to modify it into something I need rarely has a satisfactory result.
Perhaps it's my age but ghetto chameleon enclosures just don't cut it for me, and in the end cost as much or more than a proper pre-fabricated commercial cage.
A really nice screen enclosure is not that expensive. The one you need initially would be about 12"x18"x20" and you can get that for very little $. Tyler has some nice, appropriately sized ones in the classified forum.
It is my honest opinion.....and I'm not trying to be mean....that if you cannot afford the proper enclosure, you really need to reconsider aquiring one of these animals in the first place.
If money is not an issue, and you are just trying to make good use of this glass tank...get an animal that would be appropriate for a glass tank.
As for you friends cham....I haven't seen the set-up so I can't comment.
I would be most concerned about height....an adult male veiled or panther needs at least a 4 foot tall enclosure regardless of what it's constructed from.

-Brad

I wouldn't risk it at all. They need the mesh to hang on and get there grips strong. They need the mesh to get fresh air coming through, plus in glass enclosures they can see there reflection and that can stress them out.

I found a 38 gallon all mesh enclosure for about $40 shipped, is that a good price?

With mesh enclosures, can I get the fabric-like mesh, or shold I pay more and get metal?

Should I just build one myself? I build my birdcage myself..

With a baby cham, how big of vines/branches should I use? should I get larger ones and wrap then in varous size fake vines or just start with smaller branches and get bigger ones as he gets bigger?

I am going to try to sell the glass tank, thanks guys!

Last edited:
I plan on getting a baby male veiled, my roomate has a panther in his tall enclosure, and a female veiled in his smaller glass tank.

I am not sure where to puchase my cham yet, I am hoping for a reptile expo soon, if not, then is $90 from petsmart a bad price? Should I just look for exotic pet stores here in phoenix?

There are lots of people who use and love the reptariums (zip-up mesh enclosures)
I hate them:rolleyes:
I don't think they look good, the mesh is too dark, you can have trouble with the zipper, and on, and on....
Visibility is a huge priority for me (I want to be able to see my chameleon!)
I have had the very best luck with the wire mesh enclosures like the ones Tyler and Fl chams sell.
Just my opinion....but in the long run I think you'd be happiest buying one of these for your chams final large home.
During the first 6 months a reptarium would work....I'd still go for a screen cage though.:)

-Brad

Go to flchams website and buy a veiled from Mike.....but not until you are totally ready!!!
Check out his care sheet as well to help prepare you.

-Brad

p.s. Actually any of the breeders that sponsor this site would be great....I just noticed Mike has several veileds available right now.

DO NOT BUY ONE FROM PETSMART!!!

-B.

I am not planning on buying for another 2-3 weeks, I want to do alot more research and finish this book first.

If I buy a ~40 gallon mesh tank, how long can a baby cham stay in that until it needs something bigger?

I plan on getting a baby male veiled, my roomate has a panther in his tall enclosure, and a female veiled in his smaller glass tank.

I am not sure where to puchase my cham yet, I am hoping for a reptile expo soon, if not, then is $90 from petsmart a bad price? Should I just look for exotic pet stores here in phoenix?

NEVER EVER EVER buy from petsmart or petco.
they are overpriced and most usually sick due to their poor husbandry and their lack of knowledge in taking care of chameleons.
buying from them will encourage another shipment to the store.. thus, it means more chameleons going to die.

I am not planning on buying for another 2-3 weeks, I want to do alot more research and finish this book first.

If I buy a ~40 gallon mesh tank, how long can a baby cham stay in that until it needs something bigger?

till he reach juvenile stage (i say 5 to 6 months old)

Which book are you reading?
When was the last edition printed?
I ask because husbandry is constantly being fine-tuned.....your best resource is forums like this one, but reading books is fantastic (depending on the book).

Your cham could live in a 40 gal. reptarium for quite awhile....at least 6 months. I'm guessing at that time you will want to upgrade him regardless of whether or not he would be okay to stay put.

-Brad

I don't have it with me, I got it at a smaller local petshop, its called the Chameleon Handbook or something, it looks to be pretty new, lots of color pictures, its about 200 pages.

Awesome, when the time comes I will look more into it.

Thanks for all the help, I can't wait to get my cham! My girlfriend might buy it for me for xmas, so I have a good 3 weeks of more reading to do!

For my enclosure, how big of branches and vines should I use? Can I use bigger ones, and wrap them in fake vines?

For the basking lamp, I want to put it in one side only, correct? Like on the left top side, right?

See my response in the quote box:

Awesome, when the time comes I will look more into it.

Thanks for all the help, I can't wait to get my cham! My girlfriend might buy it for me for xmas, so I have a good 3 weeks of more reading to do!

For my enclosure, how big of branches and vines should I use? Can I use bigger ones, and wrap them in fake vines?
vary the size. It's a good climbing exercise for him. get couples that the chameleon can wrap his whole hand on the vine (no smaller than this), get a medium one, and get the large one. you can wrap them in fake vines too. If you are using real vines, make sure you disinfect them. Some people bake the vine in the oven and some boiled them and sundry them to get rid of fungus, mold, and parasites and you need to wash the vines to get rid of potentially harmful traces of pesticides or fertilizer.

For the basking lamp, I want to put it in one side only, correct? Like on the left top side, right?yes. Basically, the idea is to give him a warm spot when he's cold and a mean to escape from the heat if he's too hot (putting the light in the middle of the top screen will even out the heat and making your chameleon unable to thermo-regulate his body. Remember! Research Research Research and big NOOOOO in buying chameleon from Petco or Petsmart, ok. Good luck

Thanks ^^

Have any of you ever mail ordered? I found alot of good prices from dalers, but I am worried he will be extremely stressed out when I get him?

Are fake vines good?

When misting my cham, I am seeing alot of different opinions, anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes..

Do I mist him alone for that time, or then entire cage? (plants and such)

Back
Top Bottom