Giant Crested Gecko Enclosure

JoCarp

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm back after a few years. So back when I had Merlin, my panther chameleon I built this enclosure for him but unfortunately he got a bacterial infection which cost him his sight and he wasn't able to use it. I haven't been able to make myself get another one due to the time it takes to give them what they need and my work schedule. So I'm thinking about using the enclosure for a few crested geckos and figured I'd see if anyone had input on how many can I fit if they're female. I don't want to push it or go crazy but just trying to start my research.

Here's a link to the enclosure, but these are old pictures so its further along and filled in now.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/armoire-conversion.3754/

It's real, usable space inside is at least 42"H x 42"W x 22"D.
Thanks in advance!

Nice build.

I'm not going to attempt the maths but a rule of thumb would be 1 adult for every 9-10 gallons.

Juveniles can be up to 3 in the same space but of course you want to be looking at adult sizes unless you do another build as they grow.

The hardest part is sexing youngsters to ensure you have all females!

Nice build.

I'm not going to attempt the maths but a rule of thumb would be 1 adult for every 9-10 gallons.

Juveniles can be up to 3 in the same space but of course you want to be looking at adult sizes unless you do another build as they grow.

The hardest part is sexing youngsters to ensure you have all females!

Thank you! I saw anywhere from 10-33 Gallons each adult. I may look for some older ones that can be sexed properly to ensure I'm getting all females or maybe a single male with them. My enclosure comes out to roughly 175 gallons of usable space so I was thinking of not pushing it and maybe go with 4-6 adults. All female would be the goal, but I have other enclosures I could move any of them to if any were getting picked on.

Are you sure the Gecko's won't be able to get out of the door?

Yes, you can't see it well, but there is black wire mesh covering all the openings. I'm not worried about it when I open them due to how I plan to finish filling it out, I'll have one side that's meant to open first. I've never had a crested that tried to "bolt for it" more than a jump or two and there's really no where for them to go or hide if they do happen to get out. The only concern I have is making sure to close the doors slowly so no one gets caught since they're cast iron.

Back
Top Bottom