getting a new cham!

MangoTango

Established Member
hey guys! getting a new cham and he’s about 5-6 months I believe. i’ve done a lot more research. I miss Pascal so much but I think he/she was sick when we got ‘em. :( i’ve also heard the babies are extremely hard to keep alive so i’m trying to not be too hard on myself. also, do I NEED an extra lamp for plants? and how much should a 5-6 month cham eat and is it possible to overfeed them? thanks !

Have you gone to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ yet? You can also check out Neptune the chameleon’s many videos on YouTube. I would strongly suggest checking, rechecking and checking again that you have all of your husbandry down as perfectly as possible before getting another chameleon. You’ll also be needing to sanitize your enclosure and everything in it very well as you’ve no idea if Pascal had parasites. I know your heart is hurting from losing Pascal, but don’t jump so fast into anything. I want you to have the most positive experience and the healthiest and happiest chameleon. 💗

He was just looping them in because they both have a ton of great experience, hoping they'd respond and help you out. One of those forum things that you get used to the longer you're here. 😊

I agree with @MissSkittles - you had some husbandry mistakes that would be really important to correct before you bring home your new chameleon so it can live a long healthy life. ♥️

hey guys! getting a new cham and he’s about 5-6 months I believe. i’ve done a lot more research. I miss Pascal so much but I think he/she was sick when we got ‘em. :( i’ve also heard the babies are extremely hard to keep alive so i’m trying to not be too hard on myself. also, do I NEED an extra lamp for plants? and how much should a 5-6 month cham eat and is it possible to overfeed them? thanks !
Species?

This is why most good breeders wait until the li'l tykes are at least 3 months. 5-6 months should be past the worst of it.

Depends on what plants you choose. IF you choose plants that are all low light, and put the enclosure near enough to a window that it can get natural light without drafts or cooking the enclosure, then you might be able to get by. Personally, I think this is kind of limiting, and there are no guarantees.

For this, I second MissSkittles recommendation to peruse Chameleon Academy's Husbandry Program. It'll also answer many follow-up questions.
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-feeding-chameleons/

Last edited:
Depends on what plants you choose. IF you choose plants that are all low light, and put the enclosure near enough to a window that it can get natural light without drafts or cooking the enclosure, then you might be able to get by. Personally, I think this is kind of limiting, and there are no guarantees.
It also depends on type of enclosure; all-screen will let in more natural light, but IMO, all-screen also has a lot of drawbacks & challenges if you don't live in an area where chameleons do live—either endemic or invasive.

If you don't use a plant light, your plants may get weak & puny looking for light, or a host of other problems. If you find any of these, IMO you need a plant light.
https://www.dossierblog.com/8-signs-your-houseplants-need-more-light-what-to-do/

It also depends on type of enclosure; all-screen will let in more natural light, but IMO, all-screen also has a lot of drawbacks & challenges if you don't live in an area where chameleons do live—either endemic or invasive.

If you don't use a plant light, your plants may get weak & puny looking for light, or a host of other problems. If you find any of these, IMO you need a plant light.
https://www.dossierblog.com/8-signs-your-houseplants-need-more-light-what-to-do/
great ty!

Please go back to your other threads and review what some have suggested with links.
My comment is only in the best interest for both you and your chameleon. I am just very blunt.
You will do a great job and we only want the best outcome. (y) :)

Back
Top Bottom