GE silicone safe?

chamalam

Hey! This isnt exactly chameleon related but im working on a bioactive setup for my leopard gecko. Im making my own DIY background with great stuff and silicone, i just wanted to make sure this was the safe one.
2b15e70e-5c69-4dd5-9297-7f2f02826269.a28496d62534574bdc2e456d5264d610.jpeg

Your looking for GE silicone 1 not GE silicone 2. It looks like the one you have the pic of is GE 1 just double check that it is.

Your looking for GE silicone 1 not GE silicone 2. It looks like the one you have the pic of is GE 1 just double check that it is.
I believe it is GE silicone 1. Is the all purpose the best kind to use? If seen like bath and tub before to.
I'm not so keen on using polyurethane foam in any application around animals or kids.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Is+cured+polyurethane+foam+toxic?
Great stuff is typically used for DIY backgrounds! I believe it is safe and my gecko will not be near it during the curing process.

I believe it is GE silicone 1. Is the all purpose the best kind to use? If seen like bath and tub before to.
As long as it is GE1 type. Type 2 has mold inhibitors that not only kill off fish but are harmful to terrarium animals as well. So the only silicone used in cham keeping is type 1. You still have to let it gas off before adding a cham as with any other substance like this.

General Purpose. The other types have various additives. When I use it, I give it a month to fully cure despite what the label says. If you can still smell it (and it is stinky stuff), it's not fully cured.

Great stuff is typically used for DIY backgrounds! I believe it is safe and my gecko will not be near it during the curing process.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make it safe. I've tried to point you to articles regarding the toxicity of UF—even after curing. There are too many steps between mixing the chemicals and final application where things can go wrong; I've worked with it at different jobs (never by choice) since the '70s, and I won't have any of it in my home.

IMO, there are safer products & methods to use. For example, my bearded dragon's background is natural slate backsplash, floor/substrate is slate, and his structure is brick & slate.
All natural materials.
1647725017622.png

I've also built an all-natural terrain for my Missus' tortoise. Every plant is edible, the substrate is custom mixed, and tiles are natural slate.
1647725148785.png

That one is fine. Been using it for reef tank related items for years and have only lost 23 fish.
No, seriously, its fine. Just give it a few days to ensure its fully cured.

Both the foam and the caulk are safe as long as they cure first. I had a dart frog in my foam/caulked enclosure and they're much more sensitive than chameleons.

I've used both 1 and 2 with same rate of success
as long as is 100% silicone you good.

I've actually just used GE 2 mold resistant on my Friends dart frog vivarium, frogs still doing amazing.

Just let it cure completely.

Last edited:
IME it's easier to tell when #1 is completely cured because of the smell.
If you can still smell it, it's not completely cured.

Since #2 doesn't have a strong odor, I'm never sure about complete curing.

I've used both as well, but I only use #1 on reptile enclosures.
Never had any mold problems with #1 either.

One more thing. I used the white great stuff foam instead of the pond and stone because it wasnt available, is that still fine to use?

One more thing. I used the white great stuff foam instead of the pond and stone because it wasnt available, is that still fine to use?
Yes, Just give it a good week or so to gas off completely. You want it fully cured with no odor to it.

A lot of people use that as its cheaper. Then they silicone over it to apply their background (coir, peat, etc). Its totally fine, just need to get good coverage or you’ll see the yellow

Back
Top Bottom