Gaping

ajs

Avid Member
I've noticed my cham gaping for relatively short periods of time lately.

He seems to do it periodically throughout the day, but never for very long.

Is this just him regulating his temperature?

Does his mouth look okay? Im worried about mouth rot also

I've never heard any sort of crackle or popping sound from his breathing. Although, he does very occasionally do this very short hiss/ cough sounding thing. Sounds like if you were to force air out of your nose quickly.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - ~4-5 month old Ambilobe/Ambanja mix. I have had him for two weeks now
  • Handling - ~30 minutes/day, usually outside to give him some natural sunlight exposure
  • Feeding - Dubias (gut load blend from vegetables and fruits), BSFL (no gutload), hornworms (no gutload, as a treat). I give him a mix of the above feeders daily, but heavy on BSFL and Dubias.
  • Supplements - Exoterra repticalcium without d3 - 3-4 times/week. Herptivite (Repcal) multivitamin twice a month. Calcium with D3 (Repcal) twice a month.
  • Watering - I have a dripper, humidifier, and I mist 2-3 times per day. I will also "hand" feed him water with a Turkey baster that I have. I see him drink this way occasionally (maybe once a day).
  • Fecal Description - Always white urates. Actual fecal matter seems to be normal, maybe a bit dark the last day or two but not incredibly.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 18x18x36
  • Lighting - 5.0 T8 UVB reptisun and 100W incandescent dimmed to 75-80W
  • Temperature - basking spot is around 85 or so. Ambient temps stay at least 70. I've measured this with both the exoterra dual thermometer/hygrometer and a thermometer with a probe.
  • Humidity - 60+ at night and 40-60% during the day. I have an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier
  • Plants - pothos and umbrella plants. Two fake plants near the top of his cage
  • Placement - by the window in the "dining room" attached to our kitchen so he sees us often from a distance. The cage sits on a 3ft tall stand that I have built next to a window.
  • Location - Raleigh, NC area

Current Problem - gaping and worried about mouth health

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20200502-135534.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200502-135534.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 74
  • VideoCapture_20200502-135536.jpg
    VideoCapture_20200502-135536.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 82
I don't see the typical mouth rot signs...

Are you running the humidifier during the day when lights are on?

Gaping is either due to RI or temp regulation.

How hot is it outside?

"85 or so" at basking is too hot for his age. You want it more like 82ish.

I have the humidifier on for a little in the morning, right at noon, andaround 4pm because ive seen the humidity drop to 30% and slightly lower during the day.

It's about 70F outside today and he seems to have stopped doing it once I brought him inside out of the sun

I have the humidifier on for a little in the morning, right at noon, andaround 4pm because ive seen the humidity drop to 30% and slightly lower during the day.

It's about 70F outside today and he seems to have stopped doing it once I brought him inside out of the sun
And the humidifier is in the room to increase ambient humidity or are you running it directly into the cage during the day?

It's in the room next to the cage probably about 4-5 feet away with the vapor going towards the cage.

He's in an open room so it's a bit harder to regulate the humidity

It's in the room next to the cage probably about 4-5 feet away with the vapor going towards the cage.

He's in an open room so it's a bit harder to regulate the humidity
I'm surprised your humidity is dropping so low in NC. are you using digital gauges to get your readings?

Does the cage get direct sunlight through the window? This can effect ambient temps. May be a bit warmer then what your thinking.

I am thinking it is more a temperature thing... but I would pay really close attention to him. IF you here popping or wheezing when he breathes or start seeing stringy saliva then he would need a Vet asap for treatment of an RI.

only other thing to note. Please be very careful using a turkey baster to give water directly to him... This is not the best idea and something I would not recommend. Their trachea is in the front of their mouth with the esophagus in the far back. Buy pouring water in he could aspirate the water.

I'm surprised your humidity is dropping so low in NC. are you using digital gauges to get your readings?

Does the cage get direct sunlight through the window? This can effect ambient temps. May be a bit warmer then what your thinking.

I am thinking it is more a temperature thing... but I would pay really close attention to him. IF you here popping or wheezing when he breathes or start seeing stringy saliva then he would need a Vet asap for treatment of an RI.

only other thing to note. Please be very careful using a turkey baster to give water directly to him... This is not the best idea and something I would not recommend. Their trachea is in the front of their mouth with the esophagus in the far back. Buy pouring water in he could aspirate the water.

Yeah I've only been using to drip water in front of him, and he'll sometimes drink one of the drops. Although, he hasn't seemed to be doing that lately.

The hissing/cough sounding thing isnt wheezing, right? I pretty rarely hear him do it, but noticed that it happens whenever his underside pushes up against something he is climbing. Could that be causing a involuntary exhale that would be making that noise?

Yeah I've only been using to drip water in front of him, and he'll sometimes drink one of the drops. Although, he hasn't seemed to be doing that lately.

The hissing/cough sounding thing isnt wheezing, right? I pretty rarely hear him do it, but noticed that it happens whenever his underside pushes up against something he is climbing. Could that be causing a involuntary exhale that would be making that noise?
I am not sure. They will make a sneeze like noise when they clear their nasal passages. This is a quick noise and sounds dry.

Can he see his reflection in anything? mirrors etc?

I am not sure. They will make a sneeze like noise when they clear their nasal passages. This is a quick noise and sounds dry.

Can he see his reflection in anything? mirrors etc?

Yeah it sounds like that.

He shouldn't be able to see his reflection I dont think. There is a window next to his cage but the curtain blocks some of the sunlight from getting through.

I only have an analog gauge for humidity. I've used digital for temperature. Maybe I should get a more advanced hygrometer to double check

And the window doesn't have direct sunlight coming through. It is on the side of our house and covered by some trees

Yeah it sounds like that.

He shouldn't be able to see his reflection I dont think. There is a window next to his cage but the curtain blocks some of the sunlight from getting through.

I only have an analog gauge for humidity. I've used digital for temperature. Maybe I should get a more advanced hygrometer to double check
I use thermpro in my cage and outside my cage. they are great. Just make sure if you put it in the cage it is not anywhere that it can get sprayed.
The analog ones are really inaccurate.

I use thermpro in my cage and outside my cage. they are great. Just make sure if you put it in the cage it is not anywhere that it can get sprayed.
The analog ones are really inaccurate.
Okay. Thank you very much for your help and quick replies!

Just wondering if maybe there is a kidney problem?

That's scary. I would hope not. It hasn't been a week yet and I feel like it has gone down a bit.

Would the gaping be related to a kidney issue? As soon as I brought him inside and out of the sun he didnt do it anymore. So, I'm thinking it's just a bit too hot for him since I've seen him do it occasionally in his basking spot

Back
Top Bottom