Fruit Fly / Fungus Gnat Problem...Neem Oil Safe?

I’m assuming it works a while back I added to much to some of my cultures it didn’t kill the flies but killed the larvae so I imagine it would do the trick but like I was saying see if you can do some research on it try searching in the forum to

Lately I've noticed some fruit flies and/or fungus gnats in and around my cham's enclosure. I regularly change out gutloading fruit and veggies in the cricket bin...and dispose of things well, so I'm still experimenting to find the source. I'm also experimenting to determine if I do in fact have fungus gnats in my plants in the enclosure (using potato wedges). I also use vinegar solutions around my home to catch fruit flies regularly.

Anyways, my question is if anyone knows for sure if neem oil is safe for chams to use in the plant soil? I found some threads on this, but they were very outdated and nobody really seemed sure on this topic. I know the best solution would be to pull the plants out and repot them, but that would be best for the plants...and not necessarily for my cham... I never handle, free-range, or move my cham out of his enclosure...and so pulling out 75% of his plant coverage while I repot them doesn't seem ideal for the sake of his stress level. I'm hoping to find a solution to this problem that I can do all inside his enclosure.

I really am open all feedback and suggestions. The fruit flies or gnats truly don't seem to be bothering my cham at all, but they're certainly bothering me. Obviously I want to avoid this getting worse and becoming a problem for my cham as well.
Neem oil is an extract from the neem tree. These trees occur in India and other countries. The extract has insecticidal characteristics, likely evolved for the plant to protect itself. Although it is natural, it is toxic. Effects on reptiles probably have not been determined.
Potting plant soil can be baked, steamed, or maybe frozen to kill gnat maggots.

Thanks @Bigsky! It definitely seems to be the consensus, so I appreciate more confirmation on the fact it's toxic to the chams. I'm definitely using other methods to control the issue right now. No neem oil for now! :)

Back
Top Bottom