Food size

Mark_C

Established Member
Odd question, I know.
With feeding my guy crickets, various worms, etc, size was never a concern, as all were small to medium sized.
I'm now feeding (very well fed) dubias as a primary, and I'm farming them.
I find myself atm at an in-between.
I have large 'thumb-sized' roaches, and small pinky-nail roaches, but am low on the 'thumb-nail to top half of thumb sized roaches'.

So, the question is, how big can a dubia be for a chameleon to eat?
Should it fit completely in his mouth?
A 2 biter?

I understand a large one (and I have some larger than his head) can cause damage.
Just wondering, say his mouth size is 'X', whats a safe ratio?
1/2 X?
X?
1.5X?
Fight to the death for your food X?
Etc...

Odd question, I know.
With feeding my guy crickets, various worms, etc, size was never a concern, as all were small to medium sized.
I'm now feeding (very well fed) dubias as a primary, and I'm farming them.
I find myself atm at an in-between.
I have large 'thumb-sized' roaches, and small pinky-nail roaches, but am low on the 'thumb-nail to top half of thumb sized roaches'.

So, the question is, how big can a dubia be for a chameleon to eat?
Should it fit completely in his mouth?
A 2 biter?

I understand a large one (and I have some larger than his head) can cause damage.
Just wondering, say his mouth size is 'X', whats a safe ratio?
1/2 X?
X?
1.5X?
Fight to the death for your food X?
Etc...
Send pic of cham plz, I think a medium roach would be good for an adult and larges are also good but for 6 months and below I would feed the pinky nail ones- index fingered ones

Sure…
Last one has scale with my finger.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For an adult cham, I do not feed anything larger than an inch long when it comes to roaches... I feed most food items on the smaller size. While it might seem like a good idea bigger is not better with chams. I like to limit risk of mouth injury.

Also it can be much harder for them to get them down. If you ever watch them chew it is not really chewing them into smaller pieces then swallowing. It is them biting into them a few times and then trying to swallow them down. So if they are trying to swallow something that is too large they can not only have issues getting it down but some will even throw them back up.

Back
Top Bottom