Food schedule help

RikkiL

Established Member
Well as you all know we have Wall-e now! He is a 4 month old or so Panther chameleon. My question is, Now what is a good food schedule to get him on? We offered him what seemed like a lot of food yesterday but after the travel here I felt it was okay. He seems to be doing great. We feed him about 7:30 this morning and again this afternoon while I was on lunch. Mostly fruit flys dusted and about 6 small dubias. I think his last dubia was around 4 pm. His ff escaped his bug run so he has been casually hunting them all day.

Attachments

• 20211022_190942.jpg
    20211022_190942.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 67
Hello, you're on the right track. Until about 6 months he should be fed everyday about 15 bugs. Big variety.
Then 6-7 months is when you should cut him back. To 3 days a week or every other day. 3-4 bugs once a day.

Well as you all know we have Wall-e now! He is a 4 month old or so Panther chameleon. My question is, Now what is a good food schedule to get him on? We offered him what seemed like a lot of food yesterday but after the travel here I felt it was okay. He seems to be doing great. We feed him about 7:30 this morning and again this afternoon while I was on lunch. Mostly fruit flys dusted and about 6 small dubias. I think his last dubia was around 4 pm. His ff escaped his bug run so he has been casually hunting them all day.
Hi there, beautiful cham! My boy is about 6-7 months at this point. I just recently cut back and started feeding him every other day. You’ll probably notice your cham climbing all over - he’s looking for food. He’s been given it every day and now that’s stopped. Don’t cave in and feed him, and don’t feel bad!

I usually start every other day feeding at 6 months. It doesn’t mean you have to feed less (although I do), but I find it makes for hungry chameleons that finish their food quickly when it’s offered. That cuts down on uncertainty about how much dust falls off until the bug is eaten, and makes keeping track of food way easier than if your Cham periodically tags bugs over a number of hours. To be sure, there are naturalistic arguments for and against this schedule, but it works for me and my chams. Again, it doesn’t mean you have to feed your Cham less food, it just means that you feed less often.

Back
Top Bottom