Follicular Stasis....poor baby

Those look to me to be near full-sized eggs, not undeveloped follicles. those are generally much smaller. When I've dissected females, the follicles were always much smaller.

What problem presented itself to warrant an xray/diagnosis? She does not at all seem to be suffering calcium deficiency, as the bones seem straight and she seems plenty strong.

The last thing I want to do is question a vet's opinion - especially when I have not seen the animal myself -but I just wonder if there's even anything wrong with her at all.

From the pics and behavior you've described, I see nothing out of the ordinary for an unmated female veiled filled with unfertilized eggs. Get her an adequate (tell us what you're using - it should be big enough and deep enough for her to burrow in) lay bin and put it in her cage. Keep the mixture moist but not wet.

I believe with follicular stasis, the problem is that they don't develop/grow. Her eggs seem to have grown considerably. I know they appear round, but that is likely because the eggs are not fully developed yet.

Basically, though I am NOT a vet, I see nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected for a female veiled.

There was nothing urgent that caused me to run to the Vet. Instead I wanted to be proactive and get her a check up to ensure her health. I purchased her from a family that no longer had the time to provide good care. After realizing he was a she and was nearing maturity at 8-9 months old, that also drove me to getting a check up.

She certainly is healthy aside from the diagnosis from the Vet. Looking at the image at the time we both agreed they follicles were round. Also, I read that once the eggs are developed, they will begin to 'line up' in a sense to be laid.

I put the lay bin back in the cage with the hopes she takes to it. Its a trash bucket that's 12-14in deep and rectangular in shape, filled with organic soil and sand. I also put a small plant in the corner to make it look more natural and placed a few sticks that would allow her to easily walk in/out of the bin.

I really hope this is a case of the eggs just haven't gotten to the stage of ovulation and are still developing. Oh, btw her weight was 100 grams. I'm curious to learn if her weight will go up as the eggs develop further, she's really plump!

Hey Kinyonga, thanks for the links, I came across the first two when doing some research online and read some pretty extensive case studies on this subject. Really appreciate you sending this over, the more information the better!

Try Pierce college they have a good animal dept. It's in the valley by studio city. I had a frog emergency and had I not been able to put the mone h together I was gonna call them

Try Pierce college they have a good animal dept. It's in the valley by studio city. I had a frog emergency and had I not been able to put the mone h together I was gonna call them

Thanks Candybugs! Will def look into them....I'm still hoping Godzilla will produce eggs but will certainly be reaching out just in case.

If she was diagnosed with follicular stasis then there are no eggs to be laid, only pre-ovulatory follicles. Dystocia is when eggs are present but not being laid. It can be difficult to diagnose follicular stasis because the distinction between normal follicle development and stasis is time. If the vet is administering calcium then there is likely some calcium deficiency present. Calcium is needed for proper follicle development and deficiency can lead to stasis. I would recommend putting a egg bin in the cage and if possible expose her to a male. Exposure to a male can sometimes induce ovulation. Copulation is not a requirement. If there is no response then ovariectomy is the treatment of choice. Unlike dystocia, follicular stasis is not as much an emergency and there is time to get her in better shape before surgery. Be careful handling because as follicles age they can easily rupture and cause a ceolomitis.
Hi I need help also my vet diagnosed my littlefoot yesterday with this but I don't have 2 grand for surgury....do u know any rescues

Hi I need help also my vet diagnosed my littlefoot yesterday with this but I don't have 2 grand for surgury....do u know any rescues
Hi. It helps to know where you are located. I would think that most rescues wouldn’t be able to afford $2K either, but perhaps they have vets who work with them. Have you looked into care credit? @jannb do you know of any options that may help?

Hi. It helps to know where you are located. I would think that most rescues wouldn’t be able to afford $2K either, but perhaps they have vets who work with them. Have you looked into care credit? @jannb do you know of any options that may help?
I'm in New Hampshire she only needs a spay and I'm seeing this surgery cheap everywhere other than here. I tried care credit and one more I can't remember the name of both denied

Here is a list of reptile vets in NH. I don’t know if any of them are able to successfully do this surgery, not many vets are. If Onnie.g is willing to travel there an expert at doing this surgery in VA.

New Hampshire​

Hopkinton — Hopkinton Animal Hospital (Dr. Dutton & Dr. Peel)

KingstonPlaistow-Kingston Animal Medical Center (Dr. Wallace)

MarlboroughMarlborough Veterinary Clinic (Dr. Desena)

Portsmouth — VCA Animal Medical Center (Dr. Mazor-Thomas & Dr. Settele & Dr. Patton)

WeareExotic & Bird Clinic of New England

Weare — Weare Animal Hospital (Dr. Dutton)

You could always send her to Cheryl Garcia at the chameleon rescue In OH. Cheryl has vets that can do this surgery. Let me know if you are interested in that and I can put you in touch with Cheryl.

Here is a list of reptile vets in NH. I don’t know if any of them are able to successfully do this surgery, not many vets are. If Onnie.g is willing to travel there an expert at doing this surgery in VA.

New Hampshire​

Hopkinton — Hopkinton Animal Hospital (Dr. Dutton & Dr. Peel)

KingstonPlaistow-Kingston Animal Medical Center (Dr. Wallace)

MarlboroughMarlborough Veterinary Clinic (Dr. Desena)

Portsmouth — VCA Animal Medical Center (Dr. Mazor-Thomas & Dr. Settele & Dr. Patton)

WeareExotic & Bird Clinic of New England

Weare — Weare Animal Hospital (Dr. Dutton)
Weare and Hopkinton are attached there who gave me this

Attachments

• Little Foot-70955.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 41
You could always send her to Cheryl Garcia at the chameleon rescue In OH. Cheryl has vets that can do this surgery. Let me know if you are interested in that and I can put you in touch with Cheryl.
Info pls I don't want to get rid of her but I'm not selfish and will not cause her death if someone will help

Back
Top Bottom