fischeri sub.spec.nov. (“sub species nouveau”)

Isn't that Fischer's Tavetana? (Dwarf Fischer's) I have a guy here that imports that as a different species/sub.

Last edited:
Also, K. tavetana ( then B. tavetanum was already described, as seen in that article, which was written in 2005)

Chase

When that article was written, Kinyongia vosseleri was not a described subspecies. I'm not very good at identifying females, but I'd still love to see a picture of her :)

Chase

I'll see if I can get a decent photo. I thought she might be K. tavetana but she lacks the central ridge on the casque. I got her with the K. uluguruensis, but she looks totally different, and has a much larger size.

She looks EXACTLY like this:
15039294929_35c710d148_o.jpg

Hey Mike,

Yep, as Chase said, the "Bradypodion fischeri sub. spec. nov. is a reference to what is now known as Kinyongia vosseleri. While K. vosseleri was originally described in 1913 (described as Chamaeleon fischeri vosseleri), it was synonymized with fischeri in 1928 and had not been considered a valid taxon after that. In 2008, however, when Mariaux et al. reassessed the fischeri-group, they revalidated vosseleri and elevated it to its own species.

Chris

CarlC believes it is tavetana, and I tend to agree but I keep second guessing because she looks totally different than the other tavetana I have. They all have a very pronounced crest running down the center of the casque.

I'm starting to believe that fischeri are extremely variable even within the same species.

CarlC believes it is tavetana, and I tend to agree but I keep second guessing because she looks totally different than the other tavetana I have. They all have a very pronounced crest running down the center of the casque.

I'm starting to believe that fischeri are extremely variable even within the same species.

Any possibility it could be K. boehmei?

Chase

She does not have the spikes, so most likely she is K. tavetana. She does have a few variations of the ones I've seen though. I'll try to get some pics up. She's really shy.

Edit; I just took some really crappy pics not worthy of uploading, but she does indeed have the crest in the middle of the casque. Just small and barely defined compared to my other K. tavetana. The zoom lens really helps. I do believe that she is a bright green variant of K. tavetana.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom