First Panther Cham, he hates me!!

benpaul

Ok just to start i did extensive research before purchasing a chameleon. I was well aware they HATE being handled. He is a beautiful almost 5 month old Ambiole male i got from screameleons and i am super happy with him. He is an amazing predator(15 1/4 crickets eaten in under a half hour), sheds in well under 30 mins (the one time he has shed), and in general is very active on the diet i have chosen for him. In the 1.5 months ive had him he will not have anything to do with my hand. i see pictures of people with there chameleons on there hand and there is no way Julez will do that(i named him after a really close friend that passed away of cancer she was an animal lover and would of loved it) I am only concerned if i should need to take him to the vet and i really worry cuz of cage cleaning.(ive lost a uromastic when i was younger cuz i thought the sand in his cage worked like kitty litter) At some point i will need to remove him. i bought him a curtain for his space so he is never stressed or sees anyone unless i am cleaning his cage or feeding him. Is this a baby issue and once i hand feed him will he hate me less? the one time i got him on my hand he jumped and BARELY saved himself by grabbing his temp probe wire at the bottom of the cage. Also he bites will he get sick if he bites me and draws blood? I'm a machinist by trade and I'm not worried bout my hand i only worry for him. Can he hurt his mouth? Also i live in Wisconsin can anyone recommend a good vet? i would like to take him in for regular fecals and xrays to someone who is a true chameleon EXPERT.

welcome to the club!, my panther hates me very much!.He'll bite me every chance he gets.

Dont worry about it getting pist off around you, its normal.They are lonely reptiles, they like to be alone.

also, try not to handle him

Here are a few tips...

For the next month try all of the following:
Keep your head below him.
Try to hand feed his first food item...yes your arm will get tired when it is above your head not moving for mins waiting in vain. ;)
Sit on the floor away from the cage and don't move much...let him watch you and get used to you while you text your friends.

Some will grow up and let you take them out. Some will only come out on their own.
Most will use you like a taxi to their free range area in time.

Good luck,
Harry

yeah

i have to refill his auto mister so that's the only time i go above him. my brother has successfully hand fed him. (i actually switched to second shift so i can better care for my chameleon myself) my brother was feeding him as it was best for me to wake up at 4am and gutload and him wake up and feed. he still tries to bite my brother hehe.(my 21 year old brother is another of my pets) o well Im gonna have a lot of time to observe him while he is active(by the time i get home at 3:30 he is pacing about the bottommost vine searching for more food hehe) and hopefully gain a trust. i do still want to know if there is a danger to him should i allow him to bite me. Also the vet question. I just got my dog spayed and the vet assured me they know reptiles but id prefer to take my lil guy to the best vet in my area. I like in Germantown Wisconsin. bout 45 mins north of Milwaukee.

and i NEVER try to handle him after the first jump. i am only concerned for cage cleaning and vet visits.

I have handled my cham from day one. The breeder told me to do so, and I am glad that I listenend. i have only had my panther about 3 months and he is so friendly. I open the cage door and he loves to climb on the top of the door. He comes to the end and waits for me to hold my hand up and then he climbs aboard and I usually take him out to my patio or outside for some sun. Maybe he associates my hand with going outside. Also I have mine in a high traffic area next to my computer and he sits and watches me on the computer and even comes up to the side closest to me. I think the more you handle them the better and that is the only way they will get tame although I have read where some just are plain mean and never get tame at all. I guess I got lucky!

Eh. He may or may not get used to you. When I need to handle my veiled I just use a stick and gently slide it under him and lift slightly until all four feet are on it. Every now and then (if I'm not quick enough) he will try to jump. Biting you won't hurt him unless he has a calcium issue and his jaw breaks. I will warn you, the bigger he gets the more it hurts/bleeds. Try hand feeding some of his favorite worms and see if he warms up to you. I wouldn't try to handle him much though. Don't force anything on him (or he will just 'hate' you more.)

Back
Top Bottom