First clutch of panther eggs, if i'm doing something wrong tell me :)

OldSkoolxReasons

So I haven't kept panther chameleons very long but i have kept pleanty of other reptiles and amphibians and breed them.(poison dart frogs, blue tongued skins, scarlet kingsnkaes, waxy monkey frogs, plenty of salamanders, a veiled chameleon, and bearded pygmies) With the dart frogs my luck with eggs was semi-sucessful. I did hatch out a few and had one albino alanis hatch out which was a pretty big deal at the time(4+years ago). Last night my 11 1/2 mo.Female ambilobe panther, sired by Anubis Jr. at Cham Co., laid her first clutch of eggs. The Final number was 44, I was suprised by the amount since i cut her food intake a decent amount probably a week and a half before mating. I started to feed her heavily again about two weeks before the expected lay date so she would have enough calcium and stregenth to dig and lay. The eggs were sired by my 11mo. Male blue bar who was sired by honcho from the chame co. I am just wondering if i am keeping the eggs right. I know the temps have to be anywhere between 72Fish and 77Fish ideally. My eggs are kept in two large glad/ziploc tupperware containers in my hovabator incubator in my basement. It gets around 65F in my house at night so i have the incubator set to where it will keep the temp above 73F and never gets higher than 76F. The substrate is hatchrite(don't know if it's the best but i've heard good things about it), which was fairly dry so i lightly misted it and mixed the moist top part around in it to give it a slightly less crispy feeling. If anyone who has used the hovabator can tell me how much water i need in the bottow plastic water resivoir part for the best humidity i would be very grateful. Really i just want to know if everything i am doing is ok, I don't want to mess us such a large sized clutch, it being my first and all i thought some of you far more expiernced keepers on heere could interject. Thanks and here are pics of the Sire, Dam, and the Eggs.

showimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php

Don't know how to post pictures

They are in my gallery, Sire is "MJ semi-Fired up, Dam is "Mj's girlfriend", and Eggs are "44 Eggs!"

Here is what I do, and have worked for me:

incubate the first 2 months around 68F after the second month, gradually start bringing the temp up to 74 (search about diapause)

I use vermeculite, but hatchrite sounds good.

I don't poke holes on my containers, I open them up for inspection 1 a week and close them back.

I don't see the need for an incubator, I get the low in my basement and high temps on the upper level of my house.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice. If i ever get a clutch in the sping or summer i will opt for the no incubator method. It seems easier. I'm just always stressed that the thing will malfunction and overheat or something. I check the temp everyday just to be safe. So far so good. :)

Back
Top Bottom