First Breeding Attempt

noahrofsky7

Established Member
Hello,

I have a pair of Xanth’s, and I keep them outdoors pretty much all year round. Since the days are about to be longer, I am now choosing to introduce my male to my female.

What is the best way to approach this? I am thinking of putting him into her cage, since she is so skiddish. I hear you leave them together for around 3 days, so I may do that.

Do I separate if there is disinterest at a glance, or do I wait for him to try having his way, and then separate if needed.

Is introducing every other week to see if she is receptive too much for the female?

Thanks

No success on this first attempt. Put him in her cage, and immediately rejected him.
When should I try again? Should I wait till I know she passed slugs?
I don’t want to stress him out from handling, and stress her out by shoving a male in her enclosure.

Thanks

I have another method that I use with breeding pairs but you have to have very densely planted female cages. I have plastic dividers placed between each screen cage. I make a small window in the plastic at the bottom of the cage leaving the screen intact. The females cage has to be planted thickly enough that the male cannot see her but she can go to the window if she wants to see him. If I find her down there looking into his cage she is very receptive. You have to be careful because if he can see her he will exhaust himself trying to get to her. If you find him down there a lot cover it up.

Follow up. I'm upgrading my female deremensis, finally found a larger enclosure for her. I'm planning on waiting to breed them until she's in her new enclosure. How long should I wait since moving into a new environment will be stressful. I was thinking about 2 months but I also might just be overly cautious.

Back
Top Bottom