ficus vs. hibiscus?

dexxterbabyxx

i have recently purchased a juvenile veiled chameleon and am looking for a main center plant for his encloser. i was originally considering a ficus tree but after reading on a website that their sap can be semi-toxic and can cause problems for chameleons, i considered a hibiscus. would a hibiscus be a better choice and would it even be big enough to be a main plant for such a large encloser? i already have some gloden pothos and am going to get some more as well. what do you think is a better choice?

Hibiscus can grow to be very large. They will (probably) require an extra plant light or you will need to switch them out. My friend has some 7 foot tall hibiscus plants in his fromt yard.

I like both!

Ficus

Welcome.

Ficus bejamina, the weeping fig, and Ficus elastica, the rubber tree are both essentially edible and are used by most chameleon keepers. Hibiscus are fine, but require very very strong light to grow well; they also need more fertile soils or fertilizing to thrive. Ficus are easier for beginners.

Try using the "search" function, and you will find many threads on ficus vs hibiscus. Really, its always a good idea to search before posting a question.

Edit: It would be interesting to see if anyone has actually has a chameleon injured by Ficus sap. I asked my reptile vet if he has seen any, and he said he had not, although he had seen other lizards with suspected eye irritation from Ficus, and that plant wasn't a F. benjamina.

Last edited:
I used hibiscus predominantly in all my chameleon cages.
Albeit Ficus is easier to care, Hibiscus is imho the best plant you can get for chameleons. Their branches are sturdy. They can grow quite tall. and the leaves and the flowers are completely safe to eat (they also contain vitamin C as an added bonus for your chameleon).
Unlike Ficus, whenever the branches broke, it won't exude milky sap that can irritate your chameleon skin and eyes.

I used 3 lightings essentially for chameleon's cages with Hibiscus.
1. UVB lighting for the chameleon
2. Basking lamp for the chameleon
3. Plant light for Hibiscus (available at local home depot, wal mart, and Lowes).

I also put some earthworms inside of the hibiscus pot.
and I raised the pot couple of inches above the cage bottom to avoid flooding (using plant stands).
So far, I have no problems keeping hibiscus at all.

As a safe precaution, might be a good idea to buy 2.
Put one in your chameleon cage.
and, when the weather permits, put the other one outside to bask in the sun. and once in while, rotate the plants.

Back
Top Bottom