Female veiled with broken ribs?

Fill her enclosure up. I was going of the very first pic in the post. Cage looks bare
Yeah we recently lowered everything because it was too close to the lamps- as soon as stores open we're gonna buy some pothos and more sticks. We have extra substrate we keep for laying - we'll fill it up to about a foot

I'm not a vet...so I'm not sure if the ribs are broken or have excess calcium buildup on them....so...if it's a husbandry/nutrient imbalance between phos, calcium, D3 and prEformed vitamin A then correcting that should be all you need to do.

Maybe @GoodKarma19 can tell you more?

Yeah we recently lowered everything because it was too close to the lamps- as soon as stores open we're gonna buy some pothos and more sticks. We have extra substrate we keep for laying - we'll fill it up to about a foot
A foot deep may be overkill. 6 inches deep should be more then enough for her.

I'm not a vet...so I'm not sure if the ribs are broken or have excess calcium buildup on them....so...if it's a husbandry/nutrient imbalance between phos, calcium, D3 and prEformed vitamin A then correcting that should be all you need to do.

Maybe @GoodKarma19 can tell you more?
I give her calci dust (40% calcium) every feed and a multivitamin with vit.A, d3 and phosphorus every other sunday. I'm pretty certain it's not the husbandry because when she fell she landed on her side and the same side has the broken ribs

Is her cage opened like that all the time so she can come and go? I would only let her out when u can carefully watch her. I have a 8ft tall tree that I let my boy go and play 1/2 he a day but I dont leave her unsupervised. Poor thing I would get her to a exotic vet asap.

Is her cage opened like that all the time so she can come and go? I would only let her out when u can carefully watch her. I have a 8ft tall tree that I let my boy go and play 1/2 he a day but I dont leave her unsupervised. Poor thing I would get her to a exotic vet asap.
nah she's exhibiting normal behaviors and eating fine there's not much to be done for rib injuries they usually just heal themselves. It's not worth the struggle and money. She's a strong girls she'll be fine

So update: today we got more feeders she gobbled down some silkies and dubias. Everything is still normal except her coloring is a bit dark today

@kinyonga - bones form a "callus" (or callous, depending who you talk to!) while in the process of healing, and it usually shows up in the first 2 weeks to a month. In some cases, particularly in traumatic/uneven breaks, the callus is very prominent and may ossify and become a permanent bony bump. Usually by the time it begins to ossify the callus shrinks to some degree, but I've seen some gnarly breaks that end up forming a lump of bone.

@kinyonga - bones form a "callus" (or callous, depending who you talk to!) while in the process of healing, and it usually shows up in the first 2 weeks to a month. In some cases, particularly in traumatic/uneven breaks, the callus is very prominent and may ossify and become a permanent bony bump. Usually by the time it begins to ossify the callus shrinks to some degree, but I've seen some gnarly breaks that end up forming a lump of bone.
Thanks @GoodKarma19

Ok so for the past week she's been acting normal - good coloring, eating, climbing, ect. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to take her to the vet. The bumps have not changed at all. Do you think they'll eventually flatten out and dissapear or will they become permanent? also does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her heal faster and just not make it worse?

Ok so for the past week she's been acting normal - good coloring, eating, climbing, ect. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to take her to the vet. The bumps have not changed at all. Do you think they'll eventually flatten out and dissapear or will they become permanent? also does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her heal faster and just not make it worse?
Glad she’s doing well. I would think that the bones would have healed in that position so the bumps may not change. Just keep up her normal routine but limit the free ranging for a little while to give her more time to heal and lower the risk of causing another injury.

Should I change my supplement schedule? currently I give her calci dust w/o d3 every feed then multivitamin with d3 every sunday

Back
Top Bottom