Female Chamaeleo Trioceros deremensis Coloration

snk

Established Member
Does gravid female Deremensis display different color such as light or dark brown? Have 2 females but both showing different colors.

Attachments

• DSC04603.JPG
    DSC04603.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 125
They do, but I think this is different. I've seen some females show a red or brownish base color, as opposed to the normal, standard green. At night, is she the same color? If so, that's what you got - one of the unusual red female deremensis.

Does gravid female Deremensis display different color such as light or dark brown? Have 2 females but both showing different colors.

The gravid females I have seen did not show a particular gravid coloration, but were much more agressive toward conspecifics. Red deremensis are rare in captivity and only remember seeing one other-- it was Leah Kroo's if my memory serves me well.

Fabián

No, she stay in brownish color. I did had a female before was standard green color, however, after she mated, she turned to brown color and stay brown the whole time.

They do, but I think this is different. I've seen some females show a red or brownish base color, as opposed to the normal, standard green. At night, is she the same color? If so, that's what you got - one of the unusual red female deremensis.

Hi James,

The key here is understanding the different between a scientific "proposal" and a peer-reviewed, internationally-accepted "theory". The paper you have kindly provided is, as its abstract shows, a proposal to elevate the current (as the paper itself maintains) status of Chamaeleo and Trioceros from subgenus to full genus. This does not mean that the paper is without merit or that it holds no significance. On the contrary, it is most likely to be accepted internationally, but for that to happen, it needs to be reviewed by other members of the scientific community. This includes the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, from which the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature (ICZN) is derived. Again, this does not mean that proposals not accepted by the ICZN are invalid, per se, as they may be awaiting further review, but the purpose of The Code is to maintain consistency internationally, otherwise anyone could manufacture their own taxon and call it a day.

Trioceros will attain full status sooner or later, but don't expect to see these changes in the immediate future at your nearest CITES or USFWS.

Cheers,

Fabián

My bad! I didn't really read it, just flicked through. It was posted on another forum by a guy with considerably more experience than me saying that it had been changed! I'll read it better next time! :p

Back
Top Bottom