Fell twice help

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
Oh my god so basically he was eating, then he went to bask, and then he frantically started climbing to the front of the cage and was looking at something, then stopped moving. I slowly went up to the cage to check temperatures which were fine. I opened the cage door to make sure the temperature gauges were in the right place, and making sure nothing could have poked him,d he seemed fine with it for a few seconds, and then he jumped/fell two feet onto a branch and grabbed on, then as I was closing the cage slowly, he fell another two feet straight onto the ground. He still tiny, hes only 3 maybe 4 inches nose to vent, 3-4 months old. He climbed right back up onto the screen and hid into his Pothos. I'm not even worried that we may be back to square one on bonding. He fell on his side, not on his legs. I don't think he smacked his head. He never lets me look at him, only from afar so its not like ill be able to check him over. What the heck should I do? Leave him alone? Could he have internal damage? should I watch for blood in his next poop? (he just pooped, like right before this happened) If I can I want to avoid vet visits, that'd make him even more stressed. He hates my guts so trying to put him in a box would be a nightmare.

Im kind of freaking out right now. He's only a baby, he's got his whole life ahead of him.

Last edited:
Chameleons are built to handle the occasional fall. I’d just keep an eye on him over the next few days. Keep in mind, chameleons do a good job of hiding illness and injury.

I’d be more concerned about why he fell in the first place. Sounds like you just startled him...? Is that correct? Poor husbandry to lead to poor coordination, limb function, and grip. Filling out the husbandry form will help insure that this was just an accident and that there isn’t some underlying cause.

Please copy and paste this form with your answers: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Yes, I did startle him. He's always been a great climber. As im typing this I just saw him go from his Pothos, climbing onto a branch, and back into the Pothos. He doesn't seem shaky.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
He has been in my care for about 3 1/2 weeks. Veiled chameleon. 3-4 months old.. Male.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Never, he hates my guts lol
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
he ranges from eating 10-15 mediums feeders ( mainly crickets, every now and then ill throw in a waxwork or a hornworm) per day, sometimes more, every single day. I put them in his blue feeding cup 30 minutes after his uvb is on, 30 minutes before his basking light. I use apples, oranges, and Bug burger. Along with greens when I have them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
For the calcium I use Repti Calcium. The vitamins I use Herptivite. I use w/o d3 calcium every feeding, except on the days I use vitamin and w/d3. I use the w/d3 and vitamins 2 times per month. w/d3 Every other week, same with multivitamin, alternating weeks. I dust until the feeders are a bit lighter in color, but not so much they look like a powdered donut.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a hand mister, though I plan on getting a mistking soon. I mist twice a day, 2-3 minutes per time. He doesn't like the mist so he's always hiding when I do so (like any other time I come up to the cage lol) w
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
He has never been tested though its on the top of my list of things to do. His stool is solid and brown with no mucus, his Urates are half bright white then slowly get a light yellow tint.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He hates everyone (shocker there right), he is a Driskel bloodline from flchams. Was touchy with eating in the start.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
I use a 4x2x2 retibreeze cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I don't actually know the basking bulb wattage. Or brand. Its just one I had on hand as I ave a lot of extra bulbs and lighting since I have other reptiles. His uvb is a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube Bub, t5ho.

The uvb turns on at 7, I mist and put in food at 7:30, basking bulb on at 8. Basking bulb off at 6, I mist and take out food at 6:30, uvb off at 7.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking spot is 82-85, middle of the cage is 76, bottom is around 70. At night it can get down to 64, and since in winter it can get as low at 20's outside, it can get down to 58.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
My humidity sits at 30-40, sometimes spikes to 50 after misting. at night its 50-80 . Ill put up a dripper on dry days, but I mostly only mist. I use a gauge hung from a branch in the middle of the cage for measurement. I do need a better drainage system, and i'm working on ways to raise humidity at night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Yes, I recently switched to all live plants, I use 1 big Pothos plants, and then a couple small clippings from a Pothos plant. Then I have a big schefflera. I see teeth marks in the leaves of the schefflera, when he decided he wanted to taste it lol.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The height of the cage from the floor is 6 feet. I do have an ac in the room but its 15 feet away from him and is very quiet. It is up against the wall in corner of my room, next to my reptile shelf. There is a thin teal sheet blocking his view from my other animals. Need to change it something better.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Florida, up in the point of the panhandle.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

He got startled and fell twice.

He are pictures of his cage. the picture of him are on my Phone but id have to airdrop them and to do that I have to move and he just emerged from his Pothos and is basking and I do not want to scare him

Hopefully he didn't hurt himself in the fall. his legs and body are behind a couple leaves, I can just see his head.

Nicely done. Nothing is standing out as problematic with your husbandry. So I think it was just a fluke that he fell. This has happened with my chameleon Neptune as well and I reacted the same way you did, and he ended up being totally fine. Sometimes they get startled or misstep. It happens. As long as he can move normally and isn't showing signs of injury I think he'll be okay.

Just some comments on your husbandry...
- As he gets older you'll want to switch to a higher wattage heat bulb so that the temp will be in the low 90s.
- Adding clear shower curtain to the sides of the enclosure can help raise humidity.
- I'd also see if you can add another branch or vine towards the top (assuming the temps don't get too hot). Empty space is unusable for a chameleon.

Sounds like you're doing a great job, keep it up :)

Thank you! :)

hes climbing out into the open, and leaning to the side and turning, using all his legs, doesn't seem wobbly. He seems fired up, he's showing off his colors right now. From 8-10 feet away he seems to be moving fine.

Ill see what I can do about a branch.. I don't want to fuss with his cage too much since a stressful event just happened for him, poor guy.

As for his heating as he ages, I have a dimmer fixture, and the light is half dimmed to be 82-85. It has the potential to get to 110, so to raise it I just have to turn it up slightly.

He's my first Chameleon so I worry at every little thing. Poor @Beman was bombarded with questions for a week straight when I first got him. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom