Feeding window duration

Hello, I had a quick question regarding feeding. I've seen in some places that you can feed sub-adult male chameleons (I have a panther) as much as they want until they are more or less full grown. However, I've also seen things that say something like "as much as they can eat in a 5 minute, or two, 5 minute windows". I'm just curious if there is validity to that? I've been putting 15-20 appropriately sized dubias every day and just leaving them in there and he usually finishes them by evening. Is that a problem? If so, why? Thanks for your help!

Hi! Yes, I had a Cham that passed years ago and have just recently gotten another. He is 5/6 months.

Attachments

• Cham 12.20.jpg
    Cham 12.20.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 52
Aww…what a cutie. 🥰 He’s still got some growing to do, so I’d be feeding him around 10-12 feeders daily. Try adding some variety to his diet. Make sure to feed and care for your feeders - healthy bugs are more nutritious. These may help if you need a refresher.:)
B8796ED9-1CBF-4ACC-BE3D-20E123F90A50.jpeg
F5A18305-16A0-43FC-BC48-FE3F2CB8A95F.jpeg

It's don't think it's possible to say how many bugs to feed without context of bug size, especially when using Dubias that range so much in size. It's not so much an issue with Black Soldier Flies.

thank you for the replies. Im more interested in the “feeding windows”. Is that a real, scientific thing, or has it stemmed from a fear of over feeding?

thank you for the replies. Im more interested in the “feeding windows”. Is that a real, scientific thing, or has it stemmed from a fear of over feeding?
I’m not sure exactly what you mean by ‘feeding windows’. Do you mean the stage of life when growth is happening?

No, I mean a limited duration of time in which the chameleon is presented with food. One measure I’ve see is “as much as they can eat in 5 minutes”, once or twice daily. So my question stems from whether or not that has any real validity.

After a certain point their growth slows and they require fewer calories. It is around the 9 month range but can vary. At this point you limit the number of feeders or feed the same amount every other day. IF you are seeing hunger strikes in an other wise healthy active older juvenile this would be the time to start limiting amounts. Also look for signs of obesity like a bulging domed casque or a tail that looks like it belongs on a balloon animal. Casques should be closer to flat and tails should have some definition without seeing the tail bones.

No, I mean a limited duration of time in which the chameleon is presented with food. One measure I’ve see is “as much as they can eat in 5 minutes”, once or twice daily. So my question stems from whether or not that has any real validity.
Every morning you will want to provide enough food for the day. The idea is to simulate nature, in the wild feeding will correspond to bug activity which is usually mid morning before it gets to hot and evening before sunset. You will notice your cham will probably eat quite a bit at first and then take a break and bask and then randomly eat rest of the day.

Okay great, that’s consistent with what I’ve observed. And that’s okay? To leave the feeders he doesn’t finish in the morning In the feeder run cup for him to eat later?

Back
Top Bottom