feeding issues

brileywright

hi! i have female panther around 7-8 months old who is having a vitamin A deficiency. she is refusing to eat and probably not getting enough water even with sprayings and a dripper. it’s been two days and i’m getting very worried about her. she’s the sweetest little bean and never gets angry so i can’t force feed or water her. i’ve left a message with her vet and they haven’t gotten back to me.
1E5002A1-2E06-4EE7-9689-B3C25D5B4E00.jpeg

Hi and welcome. 🙂 How do you know she has a vitamin A deficiency? What have you been using for supplements and by what schedule?
I took her to the vet monday the 23 and her dr told me she had a deficiency and gave me eye drops for twice a day since she was having closed eyes. i had been giving calcium without d3 once a week with giant mealworms, dubias, and crickets. i have now learned the need for occasional d3 and multi vitamins. now trying to give her those to help her feel herself again, i can’t.

Ok. So you’ll want to lightly dust every feeding with the calcium without D3. Then one feeding every other week you’ll use a calcium with D3. One feeding every other week and alternating with the D3, you’ll want to use a multivitamin. A simpler way is to use a combination product for the D3 and multivitamin, such as ReptiVite with D3 or Repashy calcium plus LoD. Both contain preformed vitamin A which is good for eye health. Both D3 and preformed vitamin A are fat soluble vitamins and are not easily excreted, so we use them cautiously, making sure not to use too much. What kind of uvb light are you using? Is it a linear T5 or a screw in bulb?

Ok. So you’ll want to lightly dust every feeding with the calcium without D3. Then one feeding every other week you’ll use a calcium with D3. One feeding every other week and alternating with the D3, you’ll want to use a multivitamin. A simpler way is to use a combination product for the D3 and multivitamin, such as ReptiVite with D3 or Repashy calcium plus LoD. Both contain preformed vitamin A which is good for eye health. Both D3 and preformed vitamin A are fat soluble vitamins and are not easily excreted, so we use them cautiously, making sure not to use too much. What kind of uvb light are you using? Is it a linear T5 or a screw in bulb?
The linear T5 uvb and a heat bulb. the humidity is around 60%. temp typically 70F. basking spot around 90F.

That’s a bit hot for a lady panther. I keep my ladies at around 80. Light and humidity are perfect.
okay, i’ll look into that! any tips on getting her to eat? i’ve tried forceps, her cup, on the inside of the cage, my hand. she never turns down a good cricket, but she has for two days. i’m worried about her not eating with her being “sick” or getting enough water. she’s just not interested.

What colour are her urates?

Will she drink when you drip water very slowly on the end of her nose?

BTW...there are to types of vitamin A...prEformed and PrOformed. PrOformed vitamin A is from carotenoids (from veggies, greens, etc.) and the body converts it as needed into vitamin A...so it can't be overdosed...but there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert it at all or somewhat. PrEformed is from animal sources (look for words like retinol, retinyl, acetate) and is ready to go and can build up in the system and lead to health issues...so you have to be careful with it.

Vitamin A is also somewhat antagonistic to vitamin D3 so they need to be in balance.

Last edited:
What colour are her urates?

Will she drink when you drip water very slowly on the end of her nose?

BTW...there are to types of vitamin A...prEformed and PrOformed. PrOformed vitamin A is from carotenoids (from veggies, greens, etc.) and the body converts it as needed into vitamin A...so it can't be overdosed...but there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert it at all or somewhat. PrEformed is from animal sources (look for words like retinol, retinyl, acetate) and is ready to go and can build up in the system and lead to health issues...so you have to be careful with it.

Vitamin A is also somewhat antagonistic to vitamin D3 so they need to be in balance.
dark brown, no yellow or white. she will not drink if i put drops on her.

You said..."dark brown, no yellow or white. she will not drink if i put drops on her"...poop should be brown....urates should be white or have a tinge or orangish yellow to indicate hydration. If the part that is supposed to be white or tinged just slightly orange/yellow is really orange in color, then she's dehydrates. The white part is the urine/urates and the brown is the poop/feces.

You said..."dark brown, no yellow or white. she will not drink if i put drops on her"...poop should be brown....urates should be white or have a tinge or orangish yellow to indicate hydration. If the part that is supposed to be white or tinged just slightly orange/yellow is really orange in color, then she's dehydrates. The white part is the urine/urates and the brown is the poop/feces.
this is her most recent. i can’t tell what the color is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom