Fat or gravid?

Breemorris

She has shown NO signs of being gravid. Eats normal, could eat more than I give her, moves around just fine, doesn’t go down low unless sleeping, doesn’t dig, etc. I have a laying bin in there for her but she pays no attention to it. She has looked like this for a while now. Even when we got her she was “puffier” than our male. They have never came in contact. I feed her a variety of worms and crickets, I believe I follow all guidelines to keeping her happy pretty well. Any thoughts?
*** last picture is her at 2.5 months old

Attachments

• D7495BF7-2196-496D-BE32-74A6797ED9CE.jpeg
    D7495BF7-2196-496D-BE32-74A6797ED9CE.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 22C77208-98EE-476E-85B0-A95365D80CCC.jpeg
    22C77208-98EE-476E-85B0-A95365D80CCC.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 78780585-C9F4-4DC3-AB74-547FD9B7C337.jpeg
    78780585-C9F4-4DC3-AB74-547FD9B7C337.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 77
She has shown NO signs of being gravid. Eats normal, could eat more than I give her, moves around just fine, doesn’t go down low unless sleeping, doesn’t dig, etc. I have a laying bin in there for her but she pays no attention to it. She has looked like this for a while now. Even when we got her she was “puffier” than our male. They have never came in contact. I feed her a variety of worms and crickets, I believe I follow all guidelines to keeping her happy pretty well. Any thoughts?
*** middle picture (when she is outside) is her at 2/3 months old. She is now 6 mo old.

Right now I feed her (usually) every day if not every other. Due to her being this “bloated” I feed her 2-4 worms.
That’s a good amount. I don’t think she’s fat. I do think she’s probably working on some eggs though. She doesn’t have to have any contact with a male to lay eggs. They just won’t be fertile. Definitely keep the lay bin in her enclosure and when she needs it, she’ll find it. After she lays, feed her well for a few days and then cut back to your regular feeding amount, but every other day. You’ll also want to make sure to keep her basking temps at 80* or lower. Laying takes a great deal out of them and shortens their lives, so restricting food and temps can help decrease laying frequency and clutch size.
Have you ever had her tested for parasites? Not a bad idea as they can sometimes cause bloating.
Have to ask...what kind of worms are you feeding?

That’s a good amount. I don’t think she’s fat. I do think she’s probably working on some eggs though. She doesn’t have to have any contact with a male to lay eggs. They just won’t be fertile. Definitely keep the lay bin in her enclosure and when she needs it, she’ll find it. After she lays, feed her well for a few days and then cut back to your regular feeding amount, but every other day. You’ll also want to make sure to keep her basking temps at 80* or lower. Laying takes a great deal out of them and shortens their lives, so restricting food and temps can help decrease laying frequency and clutch size.
Have you ever had her tested for parasites? Not a bad idea as they can sometimes cause bloating.
Have to ask...what kind of worms are you feeding?
So they can actually have eggs for a while before they lay? Like I said she’s been this big for quite a bit of time now. And we feed her wax worms, super worms, meal worms. I weve given her one or two horn worms.

So they can actually have eggs for a while before they lay? Like I said she’s been this big for quite a bit of time now. And we feed her wax worms, super worms, meal worms. I weve given her one or two horn worms.
Yes, they have the little follicles inside that over time grow and form into eggs. Has she had a period of looking super pretty with her colors displayed and being restless, climbing up/down and all around her enclosure? That is the receptive phase, when basically they get all prettied up and go looking for a man. Usually sometime a few weeks after that has ended, they can lay their eggs.
Ok, now about your feeders....all of those except meal worms should be fed as treats only. Meal worms shouldn’t be fed at all. The only worm that is a good staple feeder is silkworms. I think the feeder and gutloading sheets may help you.
79477927-3F42-449C-9211-523E2934E167.jpeg
4C054CD8-99E1-46CD-9E71-C249923C58E3.jpeg

No she hasn’t done any of that, she honestly hardly ever changes colors. Not sure if that is bad. I was told she is a pied veiled chameleon. And wow, that helps a lot. I’ve been feeding her the right things at the wrong time. Thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom