Fast growing?

My husband finished our custom cage for our two panther chameleons. I couldn't find any bigger size of the plants and now seeing them in here it looks bare 😣
2CDF5DF7-AB8D-4121-905B-DB3189D3C4CB.jpeg

Anyone have success growing a Creeping Jenny, Money tree or Polkadot plant? Will they grow quickly or should I just go buy a few filler plants?

I have some vines, a pathos plant I'm going to split between the two and I have two ledges on each side to hang/attach plants and dishes. Middle glass is frosted so they can't see each other but is removable. Top has chains to add hanging plants..

Good plant lighting and fertilizing them (with a safe type of fertilizer) will help, but more branches and some filler plants will be needed, as well. Great job so far! Also, welcome on here! We’ll need pics of your chams to gush over, too! 😁

I could only find tiny money trees and have no idea how fast they grow. I bought one and have hopes. Lol Polka dot plants are pretty cool as they get very leggy and tall and then sprout delicate little flowers. I’m seeing small polka dot plants around the main one so maybe it reseeded itself? Wandering Jew is also a great plant with a nice splash of color that will grow like crazy and even climb upwards if against a wall. Of course for just about all plants, make sure you have a really good light for them.

My husband finished our custom cage for our two panther chameleons. I couldn't find any bigger size of the plants and now seeing them in here it looks bare 😣
Have you tried the big-box home improvement stores and Wallymart?
They usually have decent centerpiece plants between 2-3' tall.

Anyone have success growing a Creeping Jenny, Money tree or Polkadot plant? Will they grow quickly or should I just go buy a few filler plants?
I'm not familiar with those. My pothos, philodendron, and inchplant all grow about a foot per month, and are great climbers/vines.

Yes, I would fill in with something.

I have some vines, a pathos plant I'm going to split between the two and I have two ledges on each side to hang/attach plants and dishes. Middle glass is frosted so they can't see each other but is removable. Top has chains to add hanging plants..
IDK if frosted glass will do it, especially if one gets fairly close to it. Chameleons have extremely good eyesight, and may (don't know for sure) be able to discern their own as if through fog.

Time will tell, but it wouldn't hurt to have a plan (i.e. opaque barrier) in case there's a problem.

Unless the enclosure is full-bioactive, that substrate could cause some issues (bacteria, molds, mildew, fungi).
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1550695/?q=substrate&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

I would also cover/seal the exposed foam.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=is+exposed+u-foam+toxic?

Good plant lighting and fertilizing them (with a safe type of fertilizer) will help, but more branches and some filler plants will be needed, as well. Great job so far! Also, welcome on here! We’ll need pics of your chams to gush over, too! 😁
My plants always seem to do well with the castings from the worm farm from the Axolotl's food. Definitely will get more branches and drive out to the nursery this weekend to see if I can score some hanging plants that are more mature than by my house. Aa

I'm not familiar with those. My pothos, philodendron, and inchplant all grow about a foot per month, and are great climbers/vines.

IDK if frosted glass will do it, especially if one gets fairly close to it. Chameleons have extremely good eyesight, and may (don't know for sure) be able to discern their own as if through fog.

Time will tell, but it wouldn't hurt to have a plan (i.e. opaque barrier) in case there's a problem.

Unless the enclosure is full-bioactive, that substrate could cause some issues (bacteria, molds, mildew, fungi).
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/1550695/?q=substrate&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

everything is sealed, aired out and allowed to set. The soil is part new and part from an active set up with no animals in it.

Thanks for the links!
We did seal everything. The foam was yellow then to seal we used aquarium sealer and drylok and coloring that was used by many reptile owners ( everything going in was researched to be safe )
The bio active soil is from my worm farm and my isopod farm. I normally kill all my plants unless they are in a vivarium so I have a few with no animals in it and feed the isopods the axolotl water and poo which they love 🤢. So I steal soil from them for my tanks so I know there is no chemicals. My veiled and geckos have been good with this for five years but with any of my enclosures I will watch for any signs of stress and change anything needed.
Today after leaving my patients house I'm going to the nursery on this side of town for more fillers. Lowes, Ace, Walmart and Home Depot didn't have any mature vines. Either the plants were too big or small 🤨
Also still have to add the vines and cup holders but doing one step at a time to try and not miss anything. These are first my panther chameleons, so I'm a nervous about getting it right and thankful for all the advice!

If you think you need more hanging plants, get a spider plant. They grow fast, and they're my panther's fave when he's out getting 'enrichment'.

But IMO you need a centerpiece plant for each side. Different centerpiece plants on each side will also give you the option of switching them once in a while for enrichment.

My plants always seem to do well with the castings from the worm farm from the Axolotl's food. Definitely will get more branches and drive out to the nursery this weekend to see if I can score some hanging plants that are more mature than by my house. Aa

everything is sealed, aired out and allowed to set. The soil is part new and part from an active set up with no animals in it.

Thanks for the links!
We did seal everything. The foam was yellow then to seal we used aquarium sealer and drylok and coloring that was used by many reptile owners ( everything going in was researched to be safe )
The bio active soil is from my worm farm and my isopod farm. I normally kill all my plants unless they are in a vivarium so I have a few with no animals in it and feed the isopods the axolotl water and poo which they love 🤢. So I steal soil from them for my tanks so I know there is no chemicals. My veiled and geckos have been good with this for five years but with any of my enclosures I will watch for any signs of stress and change anything needed.
Today after leaving my patients house I'm going to the nursery on this side of town for more fillers. Lowes, Ace, Walmart and Home Depot didn't have any mature vines. Either the plants were too big or small 🤨
Also still have to add the vines and cup holders but doing one step at a time to try and not miss anything. These are first my panther chameleons, so I'm a nervous about getting it right and thankful for all the advice!
I can't wait for the final reveal!

Back
Top Bottom