Eyes sink in while sleeping?

Jon S

I just took a look at Sonny. He was coiled up and about to get to sleep. He hadn't turned his sleeping colors yet, but I noticed that the eye that I could see (right eye - that has just shown signs that he is about to shed) was closed and sunk in a bit. I kind of got nervous and opened the cage to check the other side, which woke him up and the eye was out an normal.

Is this normal and I just never noticed before? He is drinking- I see him and there is no sign of yellow in his urate - solid white. Can anyone put me at ease?

Yes its normal. Muscles that control eye movement and focus are relaxed when it sleeps.
If its eyes become sunken while its awake, then its dehydrated.
:)

thank you! when i first started exploring the idea of getting my first cham, I was almost scared off by all of the "they're soooooo high maintenance" and "you better be prepared for a huge life adjustment" talk (not from here, but in general) that I became scared that if I came into the room too fast the little bugger would fall over dead! So I may get a little over concerned about normal behavior that I haven't experienced yet

Your not alone, one look at this site and those new to chams must be terrified! :)
This is self evident by many many posts like yours, dont worry, you learn as you go mate! :)

thank you! when i first started exploring the idea of getting my first cham, I was almost scared off by all of the "they're soooooo high maintenance" and "you better be prepared for a huge life adjustment" talk (not from here, but in general) that I became scared that if I came into the room too fast the little bugger would fall over dead! So I may get a little over concerned about normal behavior that I haven't experienced yet

I was exactly the same! I asked so many questions and did so much research before I got Lily. They do seem like a lot of work, so much so that I doubted my ability to care for her properly and I nearly decided not to get her. However, I took the plunge and even conquered my fear of crickets and locusts - I wanted her and, unfortunately, the bugs go with the territory so I found ways to deal with them!

It's amazing what you can do and achieve if you want something badly enough. I never once regretted getting Lily, she was such a special chameleon. She got me addicted to chams, bless her - when she died I missed her so much I got my new baby cham, Amy, who is loved just as much as Lily was! Chameleons are well worth all the effort in the end - they are such amazing creatures to have around!:D

Miss Lilly,

I must agree with you that they are definately worth the effort. I enjoy their personality and all of the activity that goes along with them. I have a bearded dragon, a ball python, and a fire salamander... all of which are extraordinarily boring!

I actually don't find the care over burdening. I am not home often - I work up the street so I pop in during the work day to spray, feed, and check temps and then I am home for a couple hours before he takes off for bed. I have found that it is more fun than anything. I enjoy watching him grow and the new colors come in. I also take pride in knowing that he is healthy and growing up successfully because of all of the horror stories I heard while doing research. I am seriously hooked on my little ambilobe and in the future I look forward to expanding to another panther maybe, a veiled, and maybe a jackson!

I do fear what I would do if he were to get sick or injured (the closest decent reptile vet is several hours away), but so far so good! This forum has been invaluable and all the members are awesome. I feel like I'm in an exclusive club

I know what you mean. Everyone on here was so kind and supportive when my Lily was poorly. Lily's death hit me so hard - much more than a furry pet's death. I still miss her every day, but I now have Amy who is slowly filling the gaping void that Lily left behind! I don't quite know what it is with chams - maybe they are magical and cast spells on us while they sleep, lol!:D I would definitely like to have more chams too, just haven't got the space for more than one at the moment. I am definitely a lizard convert - no more furry things for me - it's gotta be scaleys from now on!:D

Back
Top Bottom