Eyes closed on my chameleon.

chess1997

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and I’m hoping to get some feedback from a lot of you who see this. Some of my friends bought an exotic per store about a month and half ago. I went in there and saw the male chameleon and something just drew my attention to him. I went home that night, and since then I have done hours upon hours of research. And finally brought him 2/5. Before coming home to me, and before the shop was purchased; the old owners had him in the huge enclosure with a female and the female injured him pretty badly. We have spent countless hours, nursing him back to health; due the old owners neglect.

He has been having his eyes only open a silver or not at all during the day. We have to help him open his mouth to eat and drink; due to not seeing his food. I’m worried he isn’t gonna survive at all. HELP ME.

Hi! Welcome!

I too am a new owner and have been here in the forums for a bit and let me tell you - you are in the right place! While I am not an expert, I can give you a form that I copied from another post. If you fill this out and provide pics of your setup and cham, then those who are more experienced than me can look it over and get you the help you need :)

How to ask for help

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful. Include pictures of the entire set up, your chameleon, and the lighting system

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum and I’m hoping to get some feedback from a lot of you who see this. Some of my friends bought an exotic per store about a month and half ago. I went in there and saw the male chameleon and something just drew my attention to him. I went home that night, and since then I have done hours upon hours of research. And finally brought him 2/5. Before coming home to me, and before the shop was purchased; the old owners had him in the huge enclosure with a female and the female injured him pretty badly. We have spent countless hours, nursing him back to health; due the old owners neglect.

He has been having his eyes only open a silver or not at all during the day. We have to help him open his mouth to eat and drink; due to not seeing his food. I’m worried he isn’t gonna survive at all. HELP ME.
Hi and welcome. Filling out the above questions is fine to help get his husbandry correct. However, from what you describe it sounds as though this poor guy needs a good vet ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom