Eyes closed but healthy?

ChelseaFC

Current Problem - Eyes closed during the day

I cant use the 40 watt house bulb it wont get hot enough or put off enought light.

He just went to sleep, because the cage was so poorly lit and it was almost as if its night time.
Im gonna go back to the 75 watt and then trim some of the plant so its not so dark on the inside.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Sambava 8 months old
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? About once a week maybe a little more.
Feeding - I feed him crickets, free range and i buy ready to go crickets(possibly the problem, i can go back to gutloading them myself if need be)
Supplements - I use Miner All and Reptical Multivitamin and Calcium with D3 about a couple of times a month.
Watering - I spray his cage 4-7 times a day and i see him drink sometimes but not usually.
Fecal Description - Usually brown and always has a white tail, sometimes its extremely watery. Never tested for parasites
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen and 24x24x12
Lighting - I have a a 40 watt house bulb for his heat source now and before it was a 75 watt heat bulb (i just replaced it today) Also have a 24inch uvb long skinny bulb thing.
Temperature - With digital thermometer gauge- Basking vine(90-95) other parts of cage around 75. Night time try not to let get lower than 65.
Humidity -Digital Humidity guage - Between 45-75
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Umbrella Plant.
Placement -Located next to my tv on a long dresser. About 4 foot off the ground to top of cage.
Location - Colamebus, Georgia

A healthy cham should not be spending much of the day with its eyes closed. There are several reasons for it and all need attention. However, we need more information about your setup, lighting, feeding, watering, dusting schedules etc. to even begin to help. Please read the "How to ask for help" sticky and answer the questions.

Eye problems can be anything from an infection, damage from lighting or heat, dehydration, vitamin or mineral imbalances, etc. Too many options without more information.

If he doesn't have the same schedule for sleeping every day he may go to sleep at the earliest time you have allowed him. Or if you do not have a light schedule that is the same as outside and he can see the sunlight outside he will sleep with the sun and not his lights.

ok i updated the info

Based on your info, a couple of things jump out...

What brand of UV tube light is it? It should be marked near one end of the bulb. Most so called "full spectrum" lights on the market don't produce much if any UVB. If it isn't a ReptiSun 5.0 this could be part of the problem. A plant light won't work. He won't be able to metabolize the calcium or D3 in his diet without exposure to UVB light for several hours a day.

If the humidity in the cage is down as far as 45% for much of the day, that's fairly dry. Cham often start closing their eyes if dryness is irritating them. You can keep the cage humidity higher longer by adding live plants, hanging some plastic sheeting on the back and/or sides of the cage, or using a room humidifier.

ok ill try and keep an eye on the humidity
and the light came from the Kammers starter kit so and i think it was reptisun i belive.

I Also think i need and extra light cause the inside of the plant is dark cause its so thick and light can not get down inside of it.

but hey a good think is

he actually is showing yellow like his father el lobo. ive been waiting forever for some yellow

ok ill try and keep an eye on the humidity
and the light came from the Kammers starter kit so and i think it was reptisun i belive.

I Also think i need and extra light cause the inside of the plant is dark cause its so thick and light can not get down inside of it.

OK, the light should be easy to identify and probably is a ReptiSun. Remember, replace the bulb at 6 months as the UV it generates will drop off over time even though the bulb works. He needs to be able to sit within 18" of the bulb to get the UV. You can add more general light for the lower part of the cage by using an "old" ReptiSun or some other kind of fluorescent light in another simple fixture to help the plants keep their leaves.

and thnk you i believe it might be the 6 month thing. I got it in june and this has just started to happen the last week or so

Back
Top Bottom