EYE ISSUE

sarie

i took my cham to the vet about two weeks ago due to some swelling.the vet says he had conjunctivitis so she gave an antibiotic ointment. after two weeks the swelling has gone down but it doesn’t look too good. the first three images is the bad eye and the last two are his good eye

Attachments

• 7F058F01-DF26-4245-9E84-8DF998D2D7DD.jpeg
    7F058F01-DF26-4245-9E84-8DF998D2D7DD.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 04298D32-BC72-48E3-81E7-6972B6595703.jpeg
    04298D32-BC72-48E3-81E7-6972B6595703.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 39AACDDB-1079-4448-890B-F12C812F52F2.jpeg
    39AACDDB-1079-4448-890B-F12C812F52F2.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 60
  • A3183F1B-9759-46BF-9ECE-C0192C5AB467.jpeg
    A3183F1B-9759-46BF-9ECE-C0192C5AB467.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 59
  • E852A3AF-1AF2-4195-87E1-4953AB3CA47F.jpeg
    E852A3AF-1AF2-4195-87E1-4953AB3CA47F.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 59
not until this infection happened. it’s hard to tell from the picture but his normal eye isn’t sunk in it’s the bad eye that has some sinking in
with those pics they are both quite sunken in. How do his urates look?

with those pics they are both quite sunken in. How do his urates look?
urates are normal, with a visible white part and brown part. it’s not dried out and decent sized. i also mist with mistking around 6 times a day so he gets adequate hydration. i’m not sure why his eyes would look like that

Attachments

• 4AFF7A11-086A-44D2-B671-38AE8DC8A28E.jpeg
    4AFF7A11-086A-44D2-B671-38AE8DC8A28E.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 62
  • E4A1D6A4-5031-40AA-B4B3-B06C4ECAC170.jpeg
    E4A1D6A4-5031-40AA-B4B3-B06C4ECAC170.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 56
  • F5D5625A-295C-4615-93B5-FB030A42D8D1.jpeg
    F5D5625A-295C-4615-93B5-FB030A42D8D1.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 57
  • CCEBFF45-CBDE-4933-BE9A-F9FD7D2D5296.jpeg
    CCEBFF45-CBDE-4933-BE9A-F9FD7D2D5296.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 54
  • F938576A-EDF4-42D7-B010-CA7C9CD98BB6.jpeg
    F938576A-EDF4-42D7-B010-CA7C9CD98BB6.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 52
i can attach more photos for yoy
Sunken eyes do not only mean dehydration it can be a sign of a health issue/husbandry issue. So I just went back through almost all of your posts. I could not find where you had done a husbandry review. I think it would be a good idea with all the different threads you have done.
Let me know if you would like to and I can post the form for you to fill out. But honestly there are threads where myself and others have asked questions that you did not come back and answer. It is hard to help when we are not given the details needed which is why a full husbandry review would be a really good idea.

Sunken eyes do not only mean dehydration it can be a sign of a health issue/husbandry issue. So I just went back through almost all of your posts. I could not find where you had done a husbandry review. I think it would be a good idea with all the different threads you have done.
Let me know if you would like to and I can post the form for you to fill out. But honestly there are threads where myself and others have asked questions that you did not come back and answer. It is hard to help when we are not given the details needed which is why a full husbandry review would be a really good idea.
yes a husbandry review would be great

Ok so you will copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out with detail. Post pics of the enclosure lights down. This way we can go over everything all at once.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Distance from UVB lighting to Branch?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok so you will copy and paste the form into your reply and then fill it out with detail. Post pics of the enclosure lights down. This way we can go over everything all at once.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Distance from UVB lighting to Branch?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, age: 11 months, I’ve had him for 8 months
  • Handling - He likes to come out so I handle him around 3-4 times a week
  • Feeding - He eats dubia roaches and crickets. He eats usually every two days and can eat 8-10 large crickets and 10 small dubias within that two day period (he has a shooting gallery where i place the bugs) I gut-load with repashy bug burger, potatoes, oranges, collard greens, squash, dry oats
  • Supplements - I use repcal calcium without d3 daily. I use repashy calcium plus lod twice a month
  • Watering - i use a mistking a mist every four hours for around 2 minutes. i rarely see him drink but on occasions i see it.
  • Fecal Description - he has normal local poops — with a white urate a brown part — not dried out or anything. he has had pinworms in the past and was treated for it. since then he has been parasite free
  • History - got him from framschams—one issue with pinworms in the past

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 2x2x4 screen cage.
  • Lighting - 100w basking bulb, and reptisun t5 ho 5.0 linear uvb light that gets replaced every six months — his lights come on at 8am and turn off at 8pm. the distance of uvb is 6 1/2 inches from basking branch.
  • Temperature - ambient temp is 75. basking temp is 80-85. lowest overnight temp is around 73-74. i use a temp gun to measure the temps.
  • Humidity - humidity stays around 60-68. i use the mistking mister and frequent listings to keep it up. i use a digital humidity gauge to measure the humidity.
  • Plants - i have one golden pothos in his cage.
  • Placement - located in my room. i have an air conditioning system and the room is well ventilated. no high traffic areas. the cage sits on a stand so it almost touches the top of the room and stands around seven feet tall.
  • Location - NY

Current Problem - his right eye (which was treated for conjunctivitis) is dull-colored after medication. the swelling has gone down but i am worried about the color. he recently shed so i’m unsure if it’s his shedding causing the color.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, age: 11 months, I’ve had him for 8 months
  • Feeding - He eats dubia roaches and crickets. He eats usually every two days and can eat 8-10 large crickets and 10 small dubias within that two day period (he has a shooting gallery where i place the bugs) I gut-load with repashy bug burger, potatoes, oranges, collard greens, squash, dry oats
  • Supplements - I use repcal calcium without d3 daily. I use repashy calcium plus lod twice a month
  • Watering - i use a mistking a mist every four hours for around 2 minutes. i rarely see him drink but on occasions i see it.
  • Fecal Description - he has normal local poops — with a white urate a brown part — not dried out or anything. he has had pinworms in the past and was treated for it. since then he has been parasite free

Cage Info:

• Lighting - 100w basking bulb, and reptisun t5 ho 5.0 linear uvb light that gets replaced every six months — his lights come on at 8am and turn off at 8pm. the distance of uvb is 6 1/2 inches from basking branch.
  • Temperature - ambient temp is 75. basking temp is 80-85. lowest overnight temp is around 73-74. i use a temp gun to measure the temps.
  • Humidity - humidity stays around 60-68. i use the mistking mister and frequent listings to keep it up. i use a digital humidity gauge to measure the humidity.
  • Placement - located in my room. i have an air conditioning system and the room is well ventilated. no high traffic areas. the cage sits on a stand so it almost touches the top of the room and stands around seven feet tall.
  • Location - NY

Current Problem - his right eye (which was treated for conjunctivitis) is dull-colored after medication. the swelling has gone down but i am worried about the color. he recently shed so i’m unsure if it’s his shedding causing the color.
Give me a minute to go through everything.

See my feedback in bold. Let me know what questions you have.

Chameleon Info:

• Feeding - He eats dubia roaches and crickets. He eats usually every two days and can eat 8-10 large crickets and 10 small dubias within that two day period (he has a shooting gallery where i place the bugs) I gut-load with repashy bug burger, potatoes, oranges, collard greens, squash, dry oats. So feeding every other day or every two days is fine but you need to reduce feeding amounts. He is now almost fully matured and does not need that much food. By 12 months old they should only be fed every other day 5 feeders. Drop the citrus and oats out of your gutload replace with green leafy veg from the gutload sheet.
  • Supplements - I use repcal calcium without d3 daily. I use repashy calcium plus lod twice a month good.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - 100w basking bulb, and reptisun t5 ho 5.0 linear uvb light that gets replaced every six months — his lights come on at 8am and turn off at 8pm. the distance of uvb is 6 1/2 inches from basking branch. 100 watt bulb is very strong really watch what your temps are at basking and use a temp gauge with prob to check. The basking branch is too close to the UVB. You want 8-9 measured inches from the bottom of the UVB fixture to the branch to put him in the correct UVI level. Closer and he is in the higher range of UVI which can be damaging long term due to over exposure.
  • Temperature - ambient temp is 75. basking temp is 80-85. lowest overnight temp is around 73-74. i use a temp gun to measure the temps. Temp guns only measure surface temps. I am betting your basking is much hotter then that since your using a 100 watt bulb. You want a temp gauge with probe at basking below the heat.
  • Humidity - humidity stays around 60-68. i use the mistking mister and frequent listings to keep it up. i use a digital humidity gauge to measure the humidity. This is on the higher end for what you want for daytime. 50-60% is what is recommended. If you are misting every 4 hours I would drop the mid day misting when the cage is at its hottest.
  • Location - NY

Current Problem - his right eye (which was treated for conjunctivitis) is dull-colored after medication. the swelling has gone down but i am worried about the color. he recently shed so i’m unsure if it’s his shedding causing the color. Does not surprise me with him just coming off treatment.

Looking at your other posts. All of the black jungle vines should be removed. Their coating can rub off into the chams eyes. The only fake vines that are safe are the flukers vines. If you still have the bridge in there that should be removed as well. They do not walk flat footed they need to have gripable surfaces like real branches and vines. Live plants are better for them then fake ones. They also add humidity to their air and clean it. Gives them natural surfaces to rub against.

I would read back through this husbandry program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

chameleon academy plants.png
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom