Eye issue?

Kathidavis72

I have attached a photo of my 4-month-old Veiled Chameleon. She does not seem to be bothered by the extra flap (?) of skin on her left eye, but should I. The right eye is perfectly normal. She eats, she ATTACKS her crickets, worms, even caught a ladybug that decided to visit her enclosure. She has a drip bucket for water as well as we mist her home 3-4 times a day. I use paper towels on the bottom of her cage as I was instructed that these were better than the actual substrate. She is NOT friendly. I can talk to her and she will come close but the minute I get a hand close to her she jumps, hisses, and acts as she will bite. Plus she turns VERY dark. So I am not sure how big she is. I do know that she is at least 7 inches long because I can put my hand up to her from the outside of the cage and she is as long as my hand (not counting rolled up tail).
I am not concerned with her eating habits or what we feed her because she has shed at least once a month and she is definitely a fan of the gut-loaded crickets. I am more concerned about the extra flap of skin. There are no lesions, not oozing, she keeps the eye open, and it has not increased in size as I noticed it last month.
We are new to Chameleons but have a Bearded Dragon and a Spotted Gecko that are not in the same enclosure but are close is this something that needs to change? Is it just a "birth" defect (or a Hatch defect as my daughter calls it)?

Attachments

• Yoda.jpg
    Yoda.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 83
  • yoda eye.jpg
    yoda eye.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 81
Hey. Ladybugs can be toxic to chameleons. What type of ladybug was it? What is your supplement schedule?

AHH, it was an orange and black one. It flew in and there was no stopping her. One second it was there the next it was gone. Definitely will watch for those little critters and not let them close to the cages. Thank you

AHH, it was an orange and black one. It flew in and there was no stopping her. One second it was there the next it was gone. Definitely will watch for those little critters and not let them close to the cages. Thank you
Keep a close eye on her. What is your supplement schedule?

We have a calcium we put crickets in before feeding them, but what multivitamins should we be using
Keep doing the calcium but does it have d3 in it or no d3?
This is the traditional supplement schedule to follow
1. Calcium without d3 every feeding, and on every feeder (except black soldier fly larvae)
2. 2 times a month use calcium with d3 and a multivitamin without d3.

So d3 should only be given twice a month in supplements

I will link in my next post where to buy these.

Last edited:
He eye could be from number of issues. IMHO a visit to a good chameleon vet would be a good idea right now.

I live in a rural town. I took her to our vet. Should have seen his face. Lol. Said I always surprise him. He is searching for someone local to take her to. Thank you for the multivitamins and calcium advice. I am ordering them now

I live in a rural town. I took her to our vet. Should have seen his face. Lol. Said I always surprise him. He is searching for someone local to take her to. Thank you for the multivitamins and calcium advice. I am ordering them now
Okay, sounds good! Absolutely! ?(y)

Back
Top Bottom