Eye infection

Toroumi

Hi everyone i previously posted about an eye problem my panther was having and since then I took him to the vet on Saturday they said he was in really bad shape and dehydrated they gave him vitamins and fluids and an antibiotic injection and said if that doesnt work to consider putting him down and also it's important that he eats but he isn't eating or even opening his eyes! I haven't seen him drink much water either I tried putting the food in his mouth because it was the only way I could think to get anything in him he ate like 7 nutrigrubs but he threw them up the day after and today I tried to get him to eat superworms and dubias but he kept spitting anything I put in his mouth out :( what should I do he has 2 more antibiotic injections to get and I'm scared that it won't help I don't exactly have the money to do anything else if the antibiotics don't work I'm using the last of my money from my financial aid 😅 should I consider euthanasia if he doesn't eat or drink by the end of the week or should I do the rest of the antibiotics and hope that works? They said there's no guarantee it would help him but idk bruh idk what to do

Sorry that your chameleon isn’t doing well. :( Did the vet say exactly why he’s in such bad shape that euthanasia is an option? Can you please post some pics of your cham and his enclosure, including the lights.

Sorry that your chameleon isn’t doing well. :( Did the vet say exactly why he’s in such bad shape that euthanasia is an option? Can you please post some pics of your cham and his enclosure, including the lights.
This is a pic of him from today his eyes r pretty sunken in for the lights I have the reptisun 5.0 uvb light and the heat light is 100w the vet said that euthanasia was an option because he is just in bad shape and his quality of life is in jeopardy? Or something I don't remember 100% cuz they told me everything through the phone in the waiting room and I was kinda crying but yea I'm not sure why this happened he's always been healthy :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220201-022554_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220201-022554_Instagram.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220201_021900.jpg
    20220201_021900.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220201_021928.jpg
    20220201_021928.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 82
This is a pic of him from today his eyes r pretty sunken in for the lights I have the reptisun 5.0 uvb light and the heat light is 100w the vet said that euthanasia was an option because he is just in bad shape and his quality of life is in jeopardy? Or something I don't remember 100% cuz they told me everything through the phone in the waiting room and I was kinda crying but yea I'm not sure why this happened he's always been healthy :(
They were concerned he was really dehydrated and doesn't really eat or open his eyes

Is your uvb the linear/long tube or a screw in bulb? What supplements have you been using and what is your schedule for them? Has he been tested for parasites?

Is your uvb the linear/long tube or a screw in bulb? What supplements have you been using and what is your schedule for them? Has he been tested for parasites?
It's a screw in bulb I dust the food with this thing called "rep-cal calcium with vitamin D3" I feed him every 2 days I dust the food everytime I feed him ive fed him like this pretty much the entire 4 years since i got him he hasn't been tested for parasites I think

It's a screw in bulb I dust the food with this thing called "rep-cal calcium with vitamin D3" I feed him every 2 days I dust the food everytime I feed him ive fed him like this pretty much the entire 4 years since i got him he hasn't been tested for parasites I think
Ok. While I’m not a vet or even close to an expert, I believe that these are at least major contributors to your guys problems. The screw in uvb bulbs aren’t able to provide the uvb levels that our chameleons need at any distance farther than 2-3”. The standard is the linear T5 ho fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. This provides the needed uvb levels at around 8-9” away and also provides gentle gradients. Proper uvb is essential for synthesizing D3.
Now the second major problem (and you’ll probably find this contradictory) is you’re overdosing with supplemental D3. The supplemental D3 can build up in your cham‘s body to toxic levels, which the D3 from uvb can’t do. While somehow your cham overcame these two husbandry errors, it’s gotten to the point where he just can’t anymore. Vitamin D3 is what our bodies need in order to utilize calcium.
Since dietary D3 can build up to toxic levels, it should only be given once every other week. Your guy isn’t getting a multivitamin either, so no vitamin A for eye health. This too should be given once every other week, alternating with the D3. For every other feeding you should be lightly dusting with a phosphorus free calcium without D3.
If your guy is going to have any chance of recovery, you need to get the correct uvb without delay and correct your supplements. I recommend ReptiVite without D3 for a good multivitamin. These things are going to cost. I understand all too well the dilemma of finances and needed animal care. If you can’t afford the things needed to give him a chance, perhaps you can find a rescue to take him. I hate to suggest euthanasia, but you may need to keep that as an option rather than letting him suffer.
Maybe another member can offer you different input. I’m very sorry that your chameleon is going thru all of this. ☹️

Although pretty much everywhere is cold right now, if you are in a climate where it’s warm enough to take him outside for some natural unfiltered sun, that may help a little.

Although pretty much everywhere is cold right now, if you are in a climate where it’s warm enough to take him outside for some natural unfiltered sun, that may help a little.
Thank you very much for the info 🙏🏼 I will see what I can do do u have any suggestions on what I can do to make him eat? That's kinda my main concern rn he kept spitting food out if I tried to put it in his mouth and the few moments he does open his eyes he shows no interest in the food

A while ago you pulled something long out of his mouth....did he eat after that?
Is your chameleon able to shoot it's tongue out?
When did he stop eating?
What color are his urates?
What happened with that little lump that used to be on the edge of his eye?

A while ago you pulled something long out of his mouth....did he eat after that?
Is your chameleon able to shoot it's tongue out?
When did he stop eating?
What color are his urates?
What happened with that little lump that used to be on the edge of his eye?
He did eat after I pulled that thing out of his mouth he stopped eating by himself like 2 weeks ago last week I got him to eat but I had to put the food in his mouth when he did eat by himself he kinda had trouble shooting his tongue he gets really close to the food to eat it he hasn't pooped since my last post but I think the color was normal the lump on his eye is like an infection and I think that is what the antibiotics the vet gave him is for

I'm not a vet and I'm only giving you my best guesses at what's going on.

I'm hoping the thing you pulled out was only in his mouth and that it wasn't all the way down into his stomach when you pulled it out.
It could be something to do with throwing up the insects....but maybe not too.

I'm figuring that the tongue not being shot out could be to do with your over supplementing the D3.
With the tongue being slow and the possibility that the D3 supplements are part of the problem...this could also be a reason for him throwing up the insects.
Have you corrected the supplements now?

Regarding the urates...not the poop...if it's not really orange then he should be hydrated. Urates should be almost white.

Hopefully the antibiotics will help the eye.

Did vet recommend uvb lighting or ask about your supplements?
The eye could be a calcium deposit which i fear could be why your chameleon could be ill and vets asking you to consider euthanasia. If similar deposits in his internal organs brought on by Cholecalciferol overdose then potentially organ failure 😔

Did vet recommend uvb lighting or ask about your supplements?
The eye could be a calcium deposit which i fear could be why your chameleon could be ill and vets asking you to consider euthanasia. If similar deposits in his internal organs brought on by Cholecalciferol overdose then potentially organ failure 😔
They didn't ask about any of that wow I should have asked sooner on here if I was using the right supplements and lighting maybe this could have been prevented ☹️ do you guys know if they sell the light fixture and supplements yall recommend at petco or petsmart? I would order it but that'd take a few days and I'd like to get the stuff asap

They didn't ask about any of that wow I should have asked sooner on here if I was using the right supplements and lighting maybe this could have been prevented ☹️ do you guys know if they sell the light fixture and supplements yall recommend at petco or petsmart? I would order it but that'd take a few days and I'd like to get the stuff asap
Strange the vet wasn't interested in your husbandry.
T5 fluorescent linear uvb preferably the length of enclosure 5 or 6%
Your supplements might have to do a de tox from d3 & be doing plain calcium every feeding with bi weekly vitamin for a month or longer. Then re-introduce your d3 & minerals on alternate weeks to the vitamin.

Hello everyone idk if yall can still see this but I took him for the 2nd antibiotic injection and they said to soak him everyday for 14 days they also wanted to give him more fluids and a vitamin injection or something and flush his eyes but I didn't have money for anything aside from the checkup fee and the antibiotics 😓 I got him the long tube light thing with the arcadia 6% bulb and the rest of the supplements I was missing but he doesn't want to eat at all!! He shows no interest in the food and if I try to put it in his mouth he spits it out and like gags☹️☹️ I'm kind of lost on what to do also I was wondering if I can flush his eyes on my own with a 0.9% saline solution

yes, at PetSmart they have a relatively cheap linear fixture, and a long linear bulb that both total to about 30 or less, but if they seem to think it's your best shot then I would try it. I'm no expert, but my chameleon was throwing up and was struggling like yours and... she didn't last long. if I were you I would let him go. its difficult for you to watch and I know its tough but I don't think he's going to get much better😔. best of luck <3

Back
Top Bottom