Exploring

Just wanted to share that my Lizzy is starting to come out on her own and explore around her cage. I ended up having to leave the house and was such a hassle to get her back in. I thought the fight was gonna scare her to not come out anymore but she is back out today.

Attachments

• 60DA5E32-F7C0-431B-96E1-A5EBC5250953.jpeg
    60DA5E32-F7C0-431B-96E1-A5EBC5250953.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 71
  • 4B21411C-BF27-4C0A-9F50-91DC96FA50D5.jpeg
    4B21411C-BF27-4C0A-9F50-91DC96FA50D5.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DBCD985C-10E5-4261-9E33-1253E660BA15.jpeg
    DBCD985C-10E5-4261-9E33-1253E660BA15.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 8241DBF5-2638-4A43-8F35-0DB7A3BF6A0B.jpeg
    8241DBF5-2638-4A43-8F35-0DB7A3BF6A0B.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 62
  • F8FBC7DA-5D73-4752-9F7E-42495EE00443.jpeg
    F8FBC7DA-5D73-4752-9F7E-42495EE00443.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 03D0F9D0-82DA-4452-8F44-ADF76BAFD481.jpeg
    03D0F9D0-82DA-4452-8F44-ADF76BAFD481.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 001DCDF1-A796-4260-908D-E0D528581737.jpeg
    001DCDF1-A796-4260-908D-E0D528581737.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 3C6F1567-DA74-4397-8E90-9145A8D6313E.jpeg
    3C6F1567-DA74-4397-8E90-9145A8D6313E.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 69
Free roaming is awesome but screen crawling either inside or outside the cage is not good for chams. One big reason is the chance of pulling out a nail from getting stuck in the screen holes. This is why we try and give them lots of options to climb around inside the cage. As well as some people light diffuser/bamboo fence etc on the inside walls of the cage. Would maybe just do something simple as to have a vine leading out of the cage and into different directions.

Good to hear that you didn't scare her off. Did you put a laybin back in? She may be looking for a place to lay her eggs.
I put one in there but she wasn’t doing anything and the crickets were digging them selves into the sand and dying and causing ants

Free roaming is awesome but screen crawling either inside or outside the cage is not good for chams. One big reason is the chance of pulling out a nail from getting stuck in the screen holes. This is why we try and give them lots of options to climb around inside the cage. As well as some people light diffuser/bamboo fence etc on the inside walls of the cage. Would maybe just do something simple as to have a vine leading out of the cage and into different directions.
Okay I’ll do that
So now there's no place in the cage for her to lay the eggs?
at the moment no. I will place it back in there tomorrow and just feed her something other than crickets

Correct husbandry is absolutely essential for our ladies. @kinyonga has a great deal of experience and has taught me just about all I know about laying. Here is the husbandry review form. If you answer the questions in as much detail as possible and provide pics of your entire enclosure, including lights and floor, someone can look it over and go over if any improvements need to be made.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Her laying bin is back in her enclosure.
How do you know if she is carrying eggs she does not look lumpy to me or even round only when she puffs up
She won't necessarily get lumpy -- she will put on some weight in her belly, and when she is close to laying she may not want to eat. From the pics above she does appear to be big bellied. The lay bin should be in the enclosure all the time, so it's just a normal part of her environment.

As for the crickets -- the trouble is that even with with a Feeder Run or some sort of cup they can jump out. She really should be on such a feeding schedule that she eats all of her food rather quickly, leaving none behind. (I feed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.) It is not suggested -- but I free range the 4 crickets that I feed my girl in her enclosure and she will very quickly hunt and eat all of them before they can get far. Maybe try one at a time? Or go with silks / dubias that you can feed out of a cup.

She won't necessarily get lumpy -- she will put on some weight in her belly, and when she is close to laying she may not want to eat. From the pics above she does appear to be big bellied. The lay bin should be in the enclosure all the time, so it's just a normal part of her environment.

As for the crickets -- the trouble is that even with with a Feeder Run or some sort of cup they can jump out. She really should be on such a feeding schedule that she eats all of her food rather quickly, leaving none behind. (I feed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.) It is not suggested -- but I free range the 4 crickets that I feed my girl in her enclosure and she will very quickly hunt and eat all of them before they can get far. Maybe try one at a time? Or go with silks / dubias that you can feed out of a cup.
Okay yes with her worms I hand feed but she loves hunting the crickets so I’ll put them in there. But I’ll do as suggested and only put enough for her feed. Thanks for all the feedback. First time chamy mom

Back
Top Bottom