Experimental Enlcosures Pt.2-B.thamnobates

Solid Snake

Avid Member
Hello and welcome, to Experimental Enlcosures Pt.2-Bradypodion thamnobates.;)

P5120053.jpg

P5120056.jpg

This thread is to show my enclosure that will house a trio of Bradypodion thamnobates.

This project is still unfinished as a whole, but the inside of the enclosure is basically done. :)

My shovel failed on me:mad:, so I could not finish the outer part today:eek:, as it had to do with moving earth, and since Solid Snake does not drink and drive, it will just have to wait. Ill update this thread as progress is made. A MK system is being installed on all my outdoor caging as well.

Anyhow, this is what it looks like right now:
P5120058.jpg

To give a vague idea of what I want to do to it:

finishingexamp.jpg

So it will be sort of embedded in a "hill".

The frame is made of EMT. It is covered in panels made of deer fencing, and aluminum screen, made using the same technique that I show here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/experimental-enlcosures-pt-1-a-81894/

The bottom was dug out to almost 3', it slopes foward leading into the pit you see in front of the enclosure, which was dug even deeper. The ground here holds a lot of water, and I thought this might help with drainage. Along the bottom, there is a 4" layer of drainage rock. on top of that, is the folded over excess deer fencing, then a layer of weed blocker material, then a layer of fill dirt, and then organic soil.

Current plants used are:

3 Acer palmatum (Japanese Maples) of 2 different "cultivars"
1 Nandina domestica (Heavenly bamboo)
1 Osmanthus fragrans (sweet olive)
2 Dracaena marginata
Lots of long grasses

There are also some herbs and vegetables planted in there.

Im aware the "sod" looks...shoddy :rolleyes: There are seeds planted in between them though, and everything will grow in in time.

I may try to fill in the left side more later, as the chameleons get bigger. Id likely have to cut a door in on the right side as well though, so I can access all of the cage.

P5120041.jpg

P5120030.jpg

Looks like you've been working hard. Very nice. I like the use of the Japanese Maple. Are you planning on cup feeding?

I like the idea :)
Soon you will have a bunch of little "huts" all over your backyard haha

Lol, I already have four :p

Thats what im talkin about!! Its awesome bro, job well done.(almost :p). Have you figured out the "door" yet?:)

Lol, yes, thanks!

Yeah, I am just going to use a hatch type door like the first two, but it will wire shut all around, so it fits tight, and doesnt let snakes in o_O (they are my main predator worry atm.)

Ill test that tomorrow, and see how it goes.

Looks like you've been working hard. Very nice. I like the use of the Japanese Maple. Are you planning on cup feeding?

Thanks, no I am not. I plan on having crickets, mantids, and flies FRing in there, along with all the wild insects that are/will be in there. ;)

I will attempt to cup and hand feed at some point Im sure.

Looking really awsome!!! GREAT JOB!!!! I really enjoyed the artistic rendering of the final product, gave me some real visual perspective ;):)

but really a very nice looking setup.

Lol, yes, thanks!

Yeah, I am just going to use a hatch type door like the first two, but it will wire shut all around, so it fits tight, and doesnt let snakes in o_O (they are my main predator worry atm.)

Ill test that tomorrow, and see how it goes.

what about Solid Snakes???:rolleyes::p

Are you going to house all three in one enclosure? It looks cold in those pictures, how are you going to handle the weather? What about ants or rodents or other wildlife in your area? It looks good and you do have a nice size backyard...

Looks good! I'm a huge fan of GOC's. My one concern is if you have got gravid females I would bring them inside for gestation and birthing. If she gives birth in that GOC your never going to find all the babies. Have you got anything planned?

Looks very large and will fill in nicely in time. My only suggestion is make the screening nice and tight with no chance of escape. These guys are going to be tiny when they arrive.

That's great Solid. How much is rent, and when can I move in?
Thanks!
Unfortunately(?) their are no vacancies at this point in time.

Looking really awsome!!! GREAT JOB!!!! I really enjoyed the artistic rendering of the final product, gave me some real visual perspective ;):)

but really a very nice looking setup.

what about Solid Snakes???:rolleyes::p

Thanks man, I may build up the dirt even higher than that, to provide more shade, and hold heat when it starts getting into the winter months, well see.

Its already hard enough for Solid Snake to get into ;/

So you think it will do? Those chams will be kissing your feet! How soon are you coming out to work on enclosures, tiny ones:(, my Babies better never know about the huge palace you build for 3 dwarf chameleons.

Laurie, the airport keeps insisting that they do not have a ticket for me.
If you could call and get that straightened out, Ill be on my way...

Are you going to house all three in one enclosure? It looks cold in those pictures, how are you going to handle the weather? What about ants or rodents or other wildlife in your area? It looks good and you do have a nice size backyard...

Yes sir all three, unless I observe any issues. The breeder keeps them as such in even smaller enclosures, Bert Langerwerf also kept them in colonies, at a much higher density(at least thats my interpretation).
Heres a link to Bert Langerwerf's article on them, posted by Chris Anderson:http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ADCHAM/message/13295

It was a cooler day yesterday, but according to the weather data I can find for this area(Ive only been here since Dec.) too much heat will be my issue, until around Nov. at which point they will likely have to come inside.

I have a cat, and dog that keep birds and snakes away. I have not noticed any small rodents here yet. Possums do seem to be around, so that may be an issue. I check on my cages frequently as well, they rarely go over 3hrs without being looked in on, even at night.

Thanks man!
Lol, yes, the house was chosen for its sizable yard, and small house(less to clean :p) The chameleon area occupies the far third of it, and I dont mow it either (the back third) so its like my own little jungle. :) I may start though, if more garter snakes start to appear.

Looks good! I'm a huge fan of GOC's. My one concern is if you have got gravid females I would bring them inside for gestation and birthing. If she gives birth in that GOC your never going to find all the babies. Have you got anything planned?

Thanks!
That is my concern as well. Im concerned that even these three sub-adults will be readily found!
From Berts paper, and other readings, I am not expecting them to breed until next spring. If they do before then, they will be brought inside, or separated some other way.

Looks very large and will fill in nicely in time. My only suggestion is make the screening nice and tight with no chance of escape. These guys are going to be tiny when they arrive.

Yes I need to go around and make sure it all seals nicely. I keep trying to imagine how small they are going to be! It seems ridiculous!
As much as I dont want them getting ou, I also dont want th getting in. ;/

I appreciate everyones nice comments, and especially your concerns!

If anyone else has any concerns they'd like to point out Im all ears!

I want to be as prepared as possible.

I cant wait for these things to get here, but as the clock ticks down, Im feeling the pressure! :p

I just realized I didnt give any measurements on the thing. :eek:

Its 6' across, and 5' wide.

About 4' tall in the front, and about 5' in the back.

Back
Top Bottom