Exoticon Conference Cham Topics

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just to mention that I will be going to Exoticscon Vet Conference in Boston in August, and there are TOO many good lectures to choose from! I will definitely post whatever nuggets I get from the following topics:

Gimme Shelter (and UVB and Tube Feeding): Caring for Hospitalized Reptiles
Measuring Effects of Diet and UVB Exposure on 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations in Superworms
Hypervitaminosis D in 3 males bearded dragons
Untangling the Intricacies of Companion Reptile Nutrition, Associated Diseases, and Client Compliance
The Amphibian & Reptilian Liver: Normal Structure and Function

and best of all..
Evaluation of the Distribution & Viability of chameleons in zoological institutions

Described as follows:

Description​

In this presentation, a master’s student in veterinary medicine will present the results of her research project on the viability of chameleons in zoological institutions. Topics covered will include distribution of sex and species, reproduction, life expectancy, husbandry, mortality causes and renal diseases. The objectives of this study were to assess the general problems of zoo-housed chameleon populations and formulate recommendations to improve the conservation of these endangered species.

I am not sure if I will get a digital copy of proceeds but if so I'll figure out a way to post it somewhere and share as much info as possible. And if I get a chance I will open my mouth in the last session and ask what she feels the chameleon community can do to assist this effort and if author would be interested in working with us in some capacity as we have some amazing breeders and experts in this group.

Just to mention that I will be going to Exoticscon Vet Conference in Boston in August, and there are TOO many good lectures to choose from! I will definitely post whatever nuggets I get from the following topics:

Gimme Shelter (and UVB and Tube Feeding): Caring for Hospitalized Reptiles
Measuring Effects of Diet and UVB Exposure on 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations in Superworms
Hypervitaminosis D in 3 males bearded dragons
Untangling the Intricacies of Companion Reptile Nutrition, Associated Diseases, and Client Compliance
The Amphibian & Reptilian Liver: Normal Structure and Function

and best of all..
Evaluation of the Distribution & Viability of chameleons in zoological institutions

Described as follows:

Description​

In this presentation, a master’s student in veterinary medicine will present the results of her research project on the viability of chameleons in zoological institutions. Topics covered will include distribution of sex and species, reproduction, life expectancy, husbandry, mortality causes and renal diseases. The objectives of this study were to assess the general problems of zoo-housed chameleon populations and formulate recommendations to improve the conservation of these endangered species.

I am not sure if I will get a digital copy of proceeds but if so I'll figure out a way to post it somewhere and share as much info as possible. And if I get a chance I will open my mouth in the last session and ask what she feels the chameleon community can do to assist this effort and if author would be interested in working with us in some capacity as we have some amazing breeders and experts in this group. Besides this I will use this custom essay writing service https://edusson.com/ to do writing from this conference, I think this one should get pretty nice, because there will be a lot of smart students from all over the world, so soon there will be a writing about this conference, a little patience.
When will this be? Or has it already occurred, because I would like to participate but I can't find any information anywhere.

When will this be? Or has it already occurred, because I would like to participate but I can't find any information anywhere.
I am there now! This morning is the cham session but there have been many relevant reptile sessions (it is a vet conference for exotics including birds and small mammals)
Next week once home I will compile some of the best nuggets and post them.

I am there now! This morning is the cham session but there have been many relevant reptile sessions (it is a vet conference for exotics including birds and small mammals)
Next week once home I will compile some of the best nuggets and post them.
Excited to see what you share!

Finally I have some information compiled. Understanding that this was from about 10 hours of lectures, some were general to reptiles, so I tried to extract as much cham-specific info as possible. Also, I don't represent it all as fact, as vets differ in certain opinions and it was dependent on me writing it down. Still I think there were some good insights and usable info.

Especially regarding MBD, some of the symptoms are things that we see all the time that may be subtle initial indicators.

Attachments

• Cham lecture.jpg
    Cham lecture.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Exoticonscon Boston 2023.pdf
    129.4 KB · Views: 46
Thank you so much for sharing this information!! I feel like I would completely nerd out at these conferences, lol. I’m not in medical field (I’m a banker) but my heart was always with the medical. I just didn’t feel smart/confident enough growing up. 😊

Thank you so much for sharing this information!! I feel like I would completely nerd out at these conferences, lol. I’m not in medical field (I’m a banker) but my heart was always with the medical. I just didn’t feel smart/confident enough growing up. 😊
Well I never could do math so you're the smart one!
I realized how the vet profession gets some wrong info..in the emergency lecture they were talking about soaking as a standard. Of course that works great for some reptiles but not our chams. One speaker at least clarified it would be for animals that lay on their stomach (bearded
etc al).

Anyway just made me think how well informed this community really is.

Back
Top Bottom